Discuss multimeter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyg0507

what multimeter does everyone recommend? been looking at the socket and see one for £35 (dm240)??

i got that from ebay, its ok... had it a while now. leads wer a bit naff tho so i replaced them.

I've got two Fluke ones (both the same) not sure what models but they are top notch. Never had a problem with them and they come with fused leads and other stuff you can attch to them like thermometre etc

multi meter's like everything else should be a respectable make IMHO,you dont want it giving false readings fluke and socket and see both top notch kit

When it comes to purchasing something like a Multimeter I would be weary of using ebay etc. There is a lot of cheap eastern copies of more expensive meters around using substandard components. To most people it is almost impossible to tell the fakes from the original. The use of a substandard copy or relying on readings from such may put life's at risk.
In my experience, if the price looks too good to be true, it usually is.

The DM240 looks like a good basic unit in general, not read or heard much about it though, but I think I would prefer to purchase something as important as this from a trusted seller like 'test4less'. I looked at the ebay unit and the fascia is slightly different looking to others for sale elsewhere. I did not think this unit has been around long enough to have had an upgrade already. This just feeds my paranoia about untrusted outlets.

I will stick with my Fluke. Not cheap, but trusted.

ebay sell them foor 35 redsaw but test4less are doing them at 45 recduced from 65

fluke 116, had a few cheap ones before and found they didnt stabilize too good, the fluke just does its job

I have to disagree with the fluke fans. I have used both a fluke at BG and a cheap multi-meter with another company and for our job I cant see why you need the pricey one. As long as you have approx 240v when searching for components or you have close to the resistance readings required on say a thermistor (if you know these values) then you'll very very rarely be wrong with a diagnosis.

Then again someone may know something i dont

safegasinstall. Wasting your money on fluke multimeters. You clearly earn too much, tell me your secrets or are you going to be revealing them to the Inland Revenue with the forthcoming amnesty for us plumbers/gas installers

safegasinstall. Wasting your money on fluke multimeters. You clearly earn too much, tell me your secrets or are you going to be revealing them to the Inland Revenue with the forthcoming amnesty for us plumbers/gas installers
There is the odd occasion you only get what you pay for. This is one.
Fluke is the benchmark for all the other brands. The cheaper flukes give a 3 year warranty and as far as I am aware the more expensive ones offer a lifetime warranty. Fluke have proven their reliability and accuracy. I have used cheaper brands that are in bin. You want a good quality shifter you buy bahco. You want a quality meter you buy a Fluke.
If you want a unit for nothing other than to confirm voltage etc. then buy the cheaper unit. If you do a lot of fault finding, resistance checks etc. then I would invest in better quality unit.

could justify it if i were a sparky or using it all day every day, or even look for a s/hand fluke..
but for £150+ i would be tempted to use my finger?.

whenever I forget my multimeter I find that the loveslaves tongue can give a good guide to finding voltage!!!!

i only bought one multimeter ,did not know that i earn to much ...how do you know ???? if a 1k a week is too much ......i dont think so :) any way nothing to hide from any one going to get Vat register soon !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to multimeter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock