Search the forum,

Discuss Motorized valve on return in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

When you have your MV on the return is there any danger of the first rad on that circuit heating up?

You mean the CH valve on the return and the first rad heating up? If the valve is closed then you won't get any circulation from the pump when HW is calling. You might however get whats called thermal drift, whereas the hotter less dense water travels up and towards the radiator and replacing the cooler and more dense water.

Thermal drift can happen wherever the valves are. If you put the MV on the flow it should prevent this drift when HW is calling but you could still have the drift from HW return back up through, in which case use an NRV on the CH return.

Tbh that would be bad practice IMO. I'm not convinced any NRVs are properly tested and rated for CH use. Then when something like this fails you'll have no flow round the system.

I do agree with you yes and technically, like you say if the system is piped correctly you shouldn't get any reverse circulation but reverse circulation and thermal drift are to different things and I have known the latter to occur.

Reply to Motorized valve on return in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a CH circuit on a 2 way zone valve. It’s a long circuit with 15 rads on it but rather than shutting down the last 5 rads in the circuit when not in use which is 90% of the time, can I put a 3 zone valve on the flow after the tenth rad and divert to a new T piece on the return to...
Replies
Views
I am trying to install a new single vertical radiator and need to know if matters if the thermostatic valve is connected to the flow or return pipes.
Replies
Views
We have had an ongoing issue with low hot water temperatures in a school. During the recent repair of a leak, the plumbers isolated the hot water to fit a new bit of pipework and found that water wouldn't stop running until the cold boosted water was also isolated. Given this, it would seem...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, Hopefully someone can throw some light on if this is a real issue or not. I have had this boiler for about 10 years, I noticed just recently that when the CH has been turned off that a couple of the rads closest to the boiler were slightly warm. When the boiler had demand to heat the DHW I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm a (somewhat, I hope...) competent DIYer and just want to get some advice if my suspicion on a problem we're having is correct. We had a Megaflo and boiler professionally installed as part of a renovation a couple of years ago. I will add all of the pipework was done by this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock