Discuss lpg or oil? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

erj

Gas Engineer
Got a customer hes not sure which he wants any one any prefrances and which is cheaper to run?

Oil is my opinion
But not much difference these days and at least no one will nick the LPG

It makes me laugh how all the trade magazines say everyone is going to want renewable heat sources in the near future and we must all prepare now for the big rush that will ensue.

But this is much more typical in my experience, gas or oil? :)

Gray's point with the LPG being safe from theft is a valid one. We get lots of oil tanks drained around here. Or they take what they can, and leave the rest to pour all over the floor. Which is worse than if they just nicked the whole lot.

I believe all the figures tell you oil is the cheapest to run, but lpg is the cheapest to install. There are lots of hassle problems with oil that you wouldnt get with lpg but I guess it all comes down to money in the end. I used to have lpg and I changed to oil, it was far cheaper and I wouldnt go back but then I am an oil engineer.

had to change an lpg sytem to oil recently, the customer almost wept everytime that had to turn the heating on it was so expensive to run, might have been cheaper if they put in a bulk tank, but he didnt even consider that option

had to change an lpg sytem to oil recently, the customer almost wept everytime that had to turn the heating on it was so expensive to run, might have been cheaper if they put in a bulk tank, but he didnt even consider that option

Bottled gas would cost an absolute fortune to run

I'm not biased in that I will supply LPG, Nat Gas, Oil, Wood Pellet & Wood gasifiers.

I have used LPG, Oil and now wood pellet in my own home, never ever again would I have LPG absolute robbery made oil look extremely cheap also no real control over the bills as they filled the tank whenever suited them not me.

I know many people are very disciplined about their bank balances and allow a set amount for each utility every month personally I could never come to terms with the amounts gone out of my account for fuel I didn't order.

LPG tracks the price of oil closer than nat gas (and any other fuels) also be very careful of the special introductory offers, tank rental and maintenance bills.

With oil the consumer has the option to price around and get the best price, with LPG they are tied to a contract and no competitor can fill the tank.

Bottled gas would cost an absolute fortune to run

Yep, this year I changed a boiler for a customer who has this. Oil wasn't an option for him really as his garden didn't suit a tank installation. So I fitted a new Worcester Bosch and ripped out his old back boiler.

Sure it's costing him a fair bit to run.

My preferences would be (in order): -

1.) Natural Gas
2.) Electric (Economy 10 system)
3.) Oil
4.) LPG

I think those are in order of cost to run too.

Thinking outside the box, neither, how about electric air sourced heat pump supplied by economy 18. Could also use some photovoltaic panels as well. I have air source pump and its halfed my fuel bills, had oil boiler previously.

My preferences would be (in order): -

1.) Natural Gas
2.) Electric (Economy 10 system)
3.) Oil
4.) LPG

I think those are in order of cost to run too.

order of cost cheapest first are: natural gas, oil, economy 10, 7 or whatever they offer at present, bulk lpg and bottled lpg. Depending how you source your pellets or get wood/coal can vary the cost of solid fuel fm one extreme to the other, ie farmers get wood for free and those in Brum pay a small fortune for pellets.

Depending on the type of electric boiler I was under the impression that electric could be cheaper than oil? Not 100% sure tbh but a few of the electric boiler manufacturers are touting this on their websites so there must be some truth in it?

of course they are going to say its cheaper but theyve already burnt oil coal or gas to get electricity so how is it ever going to be cheaper!

We had similar pricing with wood pellet before the madness of grants in 2006, the one advantage out of that mess is we have a number of companies importing good quality bagged pellets which are suitable for stoves etc in cities and towns and three manufacturers for bulk deliveries for homes and commercial buildings.

Depending on the type of electric boiler I was under the impression that electric could be cheaper than oil? Not 100% sure tbh but a few of the electric boiler manufacturers are touting this on their websites so there must be some truth in it?

And Mr Bin Ladin was a misunderstood peace loving man:44:

of course they are going to say its cheaper but theyve already burnt oil coal or gas to get electricity so how is it ever going to be cheaper!

Not always, you could get electricity from a nice clean source like plutonium. :)

Not always, you could get electricity from a nice clean source like plutonium. :)

Personally that nice green nuclear energy is brilliant, steam turbines, no CO, no problem. Nuclear waste disposal, whats the issue, pop it underground, after all thats where it came fm originally. troubles is those nice russians and japanese just cant seem to understand, we dont want their, leaky nuclear waste

I know mate. It's like they say: You can't have a Ying without a Yang.

Personally think we should all stick the depleted uranium in the van of whoever stole my tools. Cos the police said we'll never find them and he was right. They evaporated.

PS - for those concerned my tools were last stolen about 4 years ago. Not recently. However by simple mathematical deduction, that does now mean that said tools, are due to be nicked any day (or more likely night).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to lpg or oil? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have bought an old house in rural France and it has an oil tank and Unical oil powered boiler (Italian I think). Its a beast of a thing but...
Replies
Views
We have an oil delivery booked for Friday but we ran out earlier today. We topped the tank with 150L from containers, bled the first boiler from...
Replies
Views
Can anyone give any advice on pricing jobs especially when only starting out. I find it really hard don't want to rip the customer off but neither...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I want to start offering finance options to customers and wondered which providers is best. I looked into Kanda but wasn't impressed...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock