Discuss Losing out on work lately ? ? ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Is anyone noticing that customers are tightening their belts a bit ? I have recently been beaten on price by other local tradesmen still winning more than I loose but they seem to be very competitive, not to worried for now but I would like you thoughts gentlemen . Cheers kop

Last edited:
With the rise in fuel prices, gas electric and food all rising over the past 5-6 years at a greater rate than peoples wages people are starting to run out of money. I think the average uk household debt excluding mortgage is something ridiculous like 30k.

The fact we have a stagnant housing market as well due to 1st time buyers getting good deals on new builds those that managed to buy non new builds cant move on as first time buyers need 10-20% deposits.

Add in all the scandals like VW the horsemeat etc people no longer know who to trust what to trust so stick with what they know.

Some people will blame it on Brexit but the rest of Europe have also been in recession at some point over the last year. Brexit or no brexit we are heading into a huge recession.

I have noticed that people are getting more quotes for a job than they used to, this will inevitably lead to what you are experiencing KOP.

I find it frustrating as wastes more time, however on a some occasions the customer has shown me other quotes and this has allowed me to win jobs (a couple of times at a slightly higher price than I would have quoted blind) so swings and roundabouts.

I’m also getting more bath out/ shower in where the customer wants making the best of what’s there rather than complete re-tiling/ overboarding.

But again, at the moment, this puts some installers off I think - we (all?) prefer to do a job from scratch- I think I’ve noticed it’s getting more important to be willing to do what a customer wants rather than what I think/know would be best - as long as it’ll work and has longevity I’m learning to be ok with that.

Problem I am finding is you dont know if they are pricing like for like we can all all trim a quote using cheaper materials and maybe cutting corners but it's not something I want to be doing? , some good points above and agree with you there is definitely a slow down in my area and tradesmen seem to be working cheaper . Cheers kop

Its the Brexit effect pal

Dont think it's anything to do with brexit. Especially around me rents are high house prices are high wages are poor and seasonal council tax has gone up 10% in 2 years peoples wages are lucky if they get any pay rise.

The people have been ripped off by big companies for years and we haven't properly got over the last recession using house building to bring us out of it.

A lot of European countries including the likes of germany and France have been in recession over the last year and apparently brexit doesnt worry them as we need them more than they need us.

Reply to Losing out on work lately ? ? ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock