Search the forum,

Discuss Lincoln Warm Air Oil Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clydesider

Hi all
I have an ancient Lincoln oil fired warm air boiler (42 years!) with a Davis Wayne burner. It might be older than some of you!
It still works, and heats my water as well, but it is probably well past it. Output is about 120k btu. We like warm air heating as it is instant and handy for drying clothes!
No gas where I live and the price of oil is making me weep.
Would love to be able to afford a new Multicalor but I dont have that kind of money at the moment.
Would I be wasting my time fitting a modern burner to try and make it a bit more efficient.
Any advice appreciated.
Mike

Maybe time to look at renewable ie a heat pump

Welcome to the forum clyde

Thanks for the welcome.
Heat pump would be a good alternative but the purchase and installation costs of all this along with pipes/radiators etc is out of my budget.
Mike

Not sure if you can still get oil fired warm air units anymore, only comercial

so it looks as though you'll have to have a complete system with new boiler and rads, will be a lot more efficient

I wouldn't spend good money replacing the burner, you can guarantee the heat exchanger will hole the moment you do.

I suppose the options are - Fit full wet heating system, Fit LPG gas warm air unit to existing ductwork, It is possible oil fired warm air units are still available (google DB green)

Spending money on such an old bit of equipment is a waste.

Look at ways you can improve the efficiency of your house first - Double glazing, thicker loft insulation, draught excluders etc etc. Often you can save more energy doing this than changing your boiler.

Thanks folks. My insulation is good ie very thick loft, double glazing, cavity wall insulation etc.
D B Green can supply heat only Multicalor unit for around £3k and eventually that's the route I may have to go down money permitting.
We dread the upheaval of a wet system installation but that may be an alternative.
I suppose with the rampant price of heating oil I may be forced to look at a complete change.
Mike

How about an air to air heat pump, could probably use the existing ducting from warm air unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lincoln Warm Air Oil Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock