Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Is this criminal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moleman

Hiya,

The mother-in-law has Homeserve Insurance to cover bits and bobs, the last leak she had was just before christmas to the supply pipe to the house, halfway across the lawn.

Homeserve came out, stopped the leak, then went away.

2 days ago I noticed that water was welling in the same spot, I dug down the short distance to reveal the job they did.

They connected the two pieces of Iron supply pipe, with 15m internal barrier pipe and pushfit fittings in a kind of G shape, so we're talking 5 pushfit fittings withint the space of an A4 piece of paper.

My knowledge of water regs isn't poo hot, but surley shrinking down a supply pipe to 15mm in this short space, using barrier pipe and using pushfit underground is not right?!?

Problem is, they're coming back tommorow, and if they start giving me any crap I'd like to have some facts to hand - is this criminal or just plain wrong?

Cheers

Can you put up a photo of it?

164835_181214158576043_100000623816335_511840_6306271_n.jpg

The thick white line is the supply pipe, the dotted white line is the parts of the 15mm barrier push fit pipe under water.

If they come back and try and charge my mother-in-law to rectify this, could I tell them it wasn't done right the first time?

There are plenty of pushfit fittings designed for underground use, but what you've described doesn't sound right. I'm with Bart: pics please!

Right, I posted the above before seeing your picture which shows, I think, speedfit fittings & pipe.

Turns out you're quite right, that is wholly unacceptable. Can't see how anyone qualified could see that as a suitable repair. Can you take any more pics, preferably showing the iron pipe too? You mght need them later as evidence. Good luck.

There may be a problem with using push fit underground and Blue MDPE rather than the pipe they have used.

Yep that's speedfit and it's not designed to be fitted there. They do make an underground range (for use with MDPE)

[DLMURL="http://www.indanc.com/speedfit_underground_fittings.php"]John Guest Speedfit® Underground Fittings for MDPE | Industrial Ancillaries[/DLMURL]

If the original pipe is iron(galvanised?)it makes it a bit more difficult to repair. That looks like a like a temporary fix to me.

It's not criminal,but if you pay for their insurance it should be done right. Maybe get the AA in,they're at it now too!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
with all these insurance schemes their looking at getting it done as cheap as possible and this is a perfect example if you spoke to the blokes who did it youll probably find their on a fixed fee probably about 6o quid and they have to take the rough with the smooth i doubt in the real world you could get the hole dug for that

I don`t think there is any defense for the folk that did the work , I would not dig a hole for 60 quid

thought only fused, mdpe, or flared compression joints where the only joints suitable (these days)

I may well be that under the cold conditions and work load that this was done as a quick fix. You mention they are coming back. If they grip and thread the two ends of the galv pipe. introduce a couple of say Plasson 1/2 female x 20 mm MDPE connectors and a piece of pipe. The jobs a good en. An less than an hours work. The service should be 750 mm below the surface to afford frost protection, however that is difficult to achieve at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this criminal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock