Search the forum,

Discuss Is this acceptable? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jimmy2k

Just had plumber come round to take heating pipes down from upstairs down to new radiator in the living room. Couple of things:

1. He said the conduit would look neat just like on the original work done in the house - I don't think it does.

DSCF0503.jpg

2. He's taken quite a large chunk out of one of the joists - apparently it shouldn't be more than 1/8th of the height of the joist, this one has gone from total height of 17cm down to 10cm at the deepest part of the cut (the closest pipe to the picture).

DSCF0500.jpg

DSCF0501.jpg

DSCF0504.jpg

Should I be concerned about any of this? If so what is the best way to go about putting it right?

Did he tie his horse up outside while he did it , butchered his way through the coving butchered the joist and certainly wouldn't use ballofix on heating will eventually leak

Conduit is personal choice, they rest of it isn't. Isolation valves are wrong, the notching is as well and the pipe seems to be resting on the joist which will creak.

Horrible job IMHO and no decent plumber worth his salt would would have done it like that.

Where did you get his details?

He said he put the stop valves on there to avoid having to drain the system or something...

Is there a risk the joist isn't structurally stable anymore as he's cut that much through?

Got his details from next door neighbour - come to think of it the other guy he recommended was a cowboy...

I think trading standards says I have to give him opportunity to fix mistakes but I don't want him trying to fix the coving - I will have to do that myself as I want it looking good again. But it's my time and money... Could I try and fix another piece of wood to the joist to make it more stable? But then there's the ballofix joints, I don't want them on there if they'll leak...

What shall I do about this?

It's not acceptable but is he a plumber or a builder or a handyman? I would say definitely not the work of a plumber

Plumber. He was talking about the "big jobs" he's got lined up for this week and next.

It is all a mess, except the conduit - which is acceptable and the coving can be very easily repaired with suitable lightweight plaster. Although I would have tried to do no damage to coving in the first place.
The Ballofix valves shouldn't be on any heating pipes and didn't need to be installed in the first place!
The joists look like others have also cut far too much depth in them.
Your guy has done it all wrong and kept the pipes at different levels from the tees and then cutting joist to suit that lower level. Classic DIY lazy "plumber" cowboy methods.
I wouldn't pay for the labour.

Plumber. He was talking about the "big jobs" he's got lined up for this week and next.

Although a lot of tradespeople like to brag that they have "big" jobs to make themselves seem important, but this talk is very common with guys who are useless idiots and not in any way capable. Definitely not a real plumber.

those notches look like they were done before hand at least one of them.
the ballofix wont leak unless the valves are open and closed, i have 2 on my kitchen rad that i have been on for 8 years but dont leak (yeh, i know. but i keep moving the position of the rad 3 times.lol)

would also like to see some one run 2 pipes through that coving without a little damage, especially if you think 2 18mm holes would give perfect access to the run!! polyfill--£1.50 from wilko's!

that also looks like a £250 job, what did you get charged?

Whats at the end of those tee's ?

Looks like a soldered cap end on one and a massive kink in other??
I don't think anyone has been so lavish as to spend money on an end cap. Looks more like mutilated with a pair of grips and then soldered closed to me.

Last edited:
It's not brilliant, pipes in trunking could do with more nail clips, it would pull all the trunking tight against the wall
Coving could have been cut better and filled after (unless you agreed to decorate where needed after work was done)
Too much cut out of joist, but I've seen deeper cuts that were 30 yrs old under baths and hadn't moved (older timbers were stronger mind you)
I've used ballofixes (isolation valves) dozens of times on heating pipes and find they're fine as long as they're not used like a tap (probly get a call tomorrow about a leak)
All in all, not the best job by a long chalk, but not the worst unfortunately
If your worried about the joist, bolt a 4 x 2 either side of the offending one and you'll be fine

The joists notches strangely look very freshly cut, yet I assume there have always been pipes there before. Cowboy job though, - there should never have been 2 notches cut as all it needed was one set of 15mm pipes and tees off them between the joists. I really despair how poor jobs are done. It's like a first day apprentice would do if left alone. I give no excuse to that work.
The Ballofix valves can leak without being touched. Heat destroys the seals inside them, - I have seen some leaking.
Also, why would Ballofix valves, or any valves be fitted there? How would that make a job easier when new tees were to be fitted? If you needed to keep the branch pipe sealed, it could have been done with a temporary stopend and then push the pipe into the tee later.

it would not have taken much effort to have used the o.ld notch, tidied the old Ts up and run the 10mm off a tee used for the 15mm all in one go with ef fittings. Re the coving I tend to drill some holes and fill in after, I hate plastic conduit and prefer tidy drops tight into the corner, which can be covered in with some boxing in if the customer wants.

Looks more handy man job or makee learnee plumber early on in their career who needs a bit of a slapping

An electric pipe freezer would have solved any drain down issues as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The joists notches strangely look very freshly cut, yet I assume there have always been pipes there before. Cowboy job though, - there should never have been 2 notches cut as all it needed was one set of 15mm pipes and tees off them between the joists. I really despair how poor jobs are done. It's like a first day apprentice would do if left alone. I give no excuse to that work.
The Ballofix valves can leak without being touched. Heat destroys the seals inside them, - I have seen some leaking.
Also, why would Ballofix valves, or any valves be fitted there? How would that make a job easier when new tees were to be fitted? If you needed to keep the branch pipe sealed, it could have been done with a temporary stopend and then push the pipe into the tee later.

hear what your saying.
but the guy had probably fitted it got paid and off to another job while you were still thinking about it!
its all down to 'how much' and how long to do the job is what you get.
if someone asked me to do it for £150 that would do me, £250 and i will re-route pipes, pin the joist, solder the joints & even fill in the coving ;)
ballofix wont leak, the lime scale will stop that unless opened and closed!!

Original pipework is kinked to hell (top left) and looks like got massive blob of solder on (previous leak ??? )
Looking at the small bore coming off the Tee toward the top centre - that is kinked too but original ????
Notches could have been done different with a bit of pipework creativity using one notch.
Ball valves a matter of choice but i think pointless and inaccessible when flooring down..
Conduit is conduit - love it or hate it. Other way would have been a couple of battons and a bit plasterboard and skim.
If he had the right tools that cornice could have been preserved almost to fit the conduit ( multi tool anyone )

Its rough - but what did you pay amd what we're the other quotes ?

Last edited by a moderator:
No temporary fittings under the floor...

Service valves? Drain it, freeze it or go home.

Last edited:
My eyes are fading fast and my glasses don't seem to be helping but pic2 looks like he has 15mm coming off one ball-o-fix, then 15mm to a 15-10 straight comp reducing socket. Looks like two 15mm pipes downstairs though, or is it my eyes ??

Sorry, looking again it could be 10mm through a reducer coming off that ball-o-fix, can't see it too well though !!

Last edited:
I would say so.

better they rip up all the new build floors up around here then, the city is full of pushfit heating systems!

personaly i'd rather not as i wouldnt want blaming for one that decided to leak after, keeping all joints above floor level.
but, if needs be no problem. i find they leak just as much as a floorboard nail through the pipe.lol

A plumbing company came out to my mums about 15 years ago to install central heating, they did something similar to one of her joists, it was a doubled up joist that supported an internal brick wall.
I pulled the guy up about it and he said it's fine, they do it all the time. I was in my second year of my plumbing course and it had been drilled into us that you can only notch 1/8th of a joist and there's only a certain part of the span you can notch.
Anyway, ended up phoning his supervisor, who agreed with him, so called the head office. They sent a structural engineer round (said I'd have to pay £120/hour if no problem was found) who condemned it and acro propped it until they could get someone to strengthen it to building regs. The total cost to the plumbing company was about 2 grand.
This was a well known company too.
So my advice, looking at those 'notches' would be to get someone in who is qualified to assess them and go from there.
Inform the 'plumber' that you're doing this and give him the option of putting it right. If there's no problem - you pay the bill for having them looked at, if he actually has undermined the strength of that joist to a point where it is unsafe, then he pays for the remedial work.

I don't like to call another plumbers work, you never know what the circumstances were, I've done some jobs I wasn't completely happy with because of customers insisting on keeping the price down and cutting corners, but that is bad, I'd be livid if it was my house.

hear what your saying.
but the guy had probably fitted it got paid and off to another job while you were still thinking about it!
its all down to 'how much' and how long to do the job is what you get.
if someone asked me to do it for £150 that would do me, £250 and i will re-route pipes, pin the joist, solder the joints & even fill in the coving ;)
ballofix wont leak, the lime scale will stop that unless opened and closed!!

I must admit that entire job would have taken me as much as a day perhaps to do it right. Definitely half a day for sure.
And the only bit the customer only usually sees is the rad and pipe drops.

It's in the regs somewhere isn't it. No temporary fittings below ground.

I must admit that entire job would have taken me as much as a day perhaps to do it right. Definitely half a day for sure.
And the only bit the customer only usually sees is the rad and pipe drops.

and the price they paid in comparison to the 'other bloke' who was twice as much!!!

Thanks for your replies.

He's charged £240 for the job (including reconnecting an outside pipe with copper instead of plastic tubing although he used big white plastic push-fit connectors on outside of the house too) - but I supplied the radiator.

I'm sure it's difficult to run pipes into coving but he said it would look like the other boxed-in drop pipes in the room which it clearly does not. If he had used a multitool or even a bit of care or measurement then I think it would have looked better rather than just bashing a hole in the coving.

I'll have to have a think about what to do - either pay him and fix myself or get second opinion from other plumber and see what it might cost to fix.

Thanks for your replies.

He's charged £240 for the job (including reconnecting an outside pipe with copper instead of plastic tubing although he used big white plastic push-fit connectors on outside of the house too) - but I supplied the radiator.

I'm sure it's difficult to run pipes into coving but he said it would look like the other boxed-in drop pipes in the room which it clearly does not. If he had used a multitool or even a bit of care or measurement then I think it would have looked better rather than just bashing a hole in the coving.

I'll have to have a think about what to do - either pay him and fix myself or get second opinion from other plumber and see what it might cost to fix.

just get a years warranty from him cover it up?
did he bash the coving or try to cut it? sometimes a piece just falls out!
and what was the state under floor boards before he started/how many notches did he chop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this acceptable? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock