Search the forum,

Discuss is my Open Fire Backboiler on my pressurized system...see diagram ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

auzworld

Hi ..
I'm thinking my setup does not look right / dangerous.....
I took some time to trace the pipes and this is the sketch of my system... someone put in a rad in the attic and connections look weird ... i concerned about the back boiler setup... I don't use the pump beside the fire.. it was disconnected... but by the looks of it it looks connected to my pressurized system... .. the pipe from the just before the pump does not look right ... theres a broken expansion tank that will be replaced... system lose's pressure and i need to keep topping it up ... ... pump heating up at boiler too...
I use a fire each night...

getting new rads , expansion vessel ....

Can someone give me guidance ... it looks a mess.. should i take out the pipe as mentioned ?? could i use my back boiler in safety?? is the attic rad plumped wrong ?? any guidance appreciated !!

backboilersetup.JPG

When using an open fire with back boiler certain safety precautions should be put in place. Hi n low limit stats to prevent overheating and wired to a second pump so if the temperature in the coil pipes over seeds the Hi limit stat it kicks the pump on and pushes it round the heating circuit. the heating side must be vented with an open fire.
TBH the system would need to be re designed to proper spec .

No offence, but it is crazy to ask questions about major reworking a solid fuel heating system.
The pipe you mention about removing, is actually probably correct & completely essential (and I am guessing & only judging by your sketch). I think the set up is a bit weird. You cannot just have a sealed system here while keeping the fire joined into the heating as it stands. That would be highly dangerous and against all regs.
Decide if you want a dual heating system and get someone experienced in to sort it all.

Whoever plumbed that needs locked up and the key thrown away.

Stop using the fire and get someone in who knows what they're doing.

As there's no scale given on the diagram i.e. Miles or KM. I'm hoping for 1 mile between each component, that should be enough, just to take the edge off, heat wise and pressure wise.
Otherwise this springs to mind.
[video=youtube;1COcXJgtyl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1COcXJgtyl4[/video]

I like your visual representation of my possible future !:tounge_smile:! bravo !! .... and thanks to everyone that commented... its been interesting feedback !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is my Open Fire Backboiler on my pressurized system...see diagram ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock