Search the forum,

Discuss is my Open Fire Backboiler on my pressurized system...see diagram ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

auzworld

Hi ..
I'm thinking my setup does not look right / dangerous.....
I took some time to trace the pipes and this is the sketch of my system... someone put in a rad in the attic and connections look weird ... i concerned about the back boiler setup... I don't use the pump beside the fire.. it was disconnected... but by the looks of it it looks connected to my pressurized system... .. the pipe from the just before the pump does not look right ... theres a broken expansion tank that will be replaced... system lose's pressure and i need to keep topping it up ... ... pump heating up at boiler too...
I use a fire each night...

getting new rads , expansion vessel ....

Can someone give me guidance ... it looks a mess.. should i take out the pipe as mentioned ?? could i use my back boiler in safety?? is the attic rad plumped wrong ?? any guidance appreciated !!

backboilersetup.JPG

When using an open fire with back boiler certain safety precautions should be put in place. Hi n low limit stats to prevent overheating and wired to a second pump so if the temperature in the coil pipes over seeds the Hi limit stat it kicks the pump on and pushes it round the heating circuit. the heating side must be vented with an open fire.
TBH the system would need to be re designed to proper spec .

No offence, but it is crazy to ask questions about major reworking a solid fuel heating system.
The pipe you mention about removing, is actually probably correct & completely essential (and I am guessing & only judging by your sketch). I think the set up is a bit weird. You cannot just have a sealed system here while keeping the fire joined into the heating as it stands. That would be highly dangerous and against all regs.
Decide if you want a dual heating system and get someone experienced in to sort it all.

Whoever plumbed that needs locked up and the key thrown away.

Stop using the fire and get someone in who knows what they're doing.

As there's no scale given on the diagram i.e. Miles or KM. I'm hoping for 1 mile between each component, that should be enough, just to take the edge off, heat wise and pressure wise.
Otherwise this springs to mind.
[video=youtube;1COcXJgtyl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1COcXJgtyl4[/video]

I like your visual representation of my possible future !:tounge_smile:! bravo !! .... and thanks to everyone that commented... its been interesting feedback !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is my Open Fire Backboiler on my pressurized system...see diagram ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for someone that can replace the expansion vessel on an old heating system that is losing pressure every day and needs topping up at least three times a day. Trying to eliminate what the cause could be. Appreciate that it could be a leak somewhere, but looking to tackle one issue at a...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock