Discuss Installing steel pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one on here had much experience in installing steel threaded pipework? With a threading machine etc.

Tiring work but quite rewarding when done right. Anything specific you want to know?

I enjoy it occasionally but don't do enough to warrant a power threader. I just use a drop head ratchet threader.

Yea we got a Rems auto threader..... heaven.

Any one on here had much experience in installing steel threaded pipework? With a threading machine etc.

Yes plenty like a lot of the guy`s on here when I started work we never had the luxury of a threading machine just ratchet stock`s and die`s any question`s we can help you with fire away regards turnpin:43:

When taking the measurement for a section of pipework to cut and thread, say between two elbows. Do you measure the distance between the elbows from the end of the internal female thread of each elbow. Or does the pipe screw further than this in to the fitting?

Yeah from where the thread ends, and allow a couple of extra threads when you do your new piece

Use a tape measure to measure inside the fitting then you will know how far to screw in.

Last edited:
That's what I mean , had a doo at a prison I did work at with the gas safe inspector last year

As a rule of thumb use c-c measurements then subtract c/line of bend to back of thread. The norm is leave two threads showing when joint is fully home, then clean of excess hemp. Hemp then jointing compound is the way I have always done it.
Make a few bits up and you will soon get in the swing.

All the way into the female then about another 5mm for good measure.
Is that because the pipe thread can screw in further than the end of the thread in the fitting?

It's just so you can see which way the threads go, ease of use, best practise. What's the project anyway?

No I was just taught this , it's just incase your slightly out it will save having to undo and recut again taking time

Add 1/2 an inch for 1/2 inch pipe and 3/4 of an inch for bigger pipe to go into each fitting. Depends how long you cut your threads though.

Based in bradford. Is re-routing a central heating pipe due to it begin in the way of a were a new door way is to be put.

If you get stuck give me a shout am only other side of that parking lot road m62

Thanks, I'll be doing the job in a couple of weeks will pop back if have any more questions when find out more about the job. Thanks for all the advice.

Mate don't bother screwing it, use copper to irons, and do the new section in copper, far easier and much much quicker (especially if you aren't used to steel)

All the time when we do boiler houses, Defiently more rewarding than just hoying copper together

When taking the measurement for a section of pipework to cut and thread, say between two elbows. Do you measure the distance between the elbows from the end of the internal female thread of each elbow. Or does the pipe screw further than this in to the fitting?

you need to you up on z dimensions. do a Google search or read the nvq level 2 and 3 books in plumbing.

All the lengths of pipe have a thread on the end. Before cutting and threading, just screw a fitting on the pipe, mark the point to where the fitting screws, undo and measure. This should answer your question.

we always do a test thread first if using a machine run up a thread screw it into a fittin then mark it to see how far in its gone
when working on iron you tend to turn fittings onto a length and do your measurements from end to center especially when using a machine as you can wind fittings on using the machine and a pair of stilsons one tip always drain and wipe all the cutting oil of any thread before taping or hemping as it dilutes the sealing effects realy important if your using a proper machine with oil feed as it tends to fill the pipes as it cuts personally i prefer loctite for thread now
it is very different to copper in that it uses a completely different set of skills if youve not done any before id take up the offer of help just to gain the experience experience
alloiw twice the time up to inch and treble above that you cant rush barrel all ways put clips up first and pipe to the clips you do need to be accurate as theres no nipping a bit of with the cutters if your wrong it has to go back in the machine
personally i find it realy satisfiying as done right it looks good

Used to do loads of screwed iron.

REMS Amigo if you are doing a lot of it (you can hire them easily)

Hemp and Boss White every time. Never had any leaks and never bothered with loctite or PTFE. I have found screwed iron put together with PTFE with leaky joints.

yep used to hang reznors and ambi rads in industrial buildings. gas was done in steel. the joys of climbing a tower with a length of 2" steel.

It is known as the "Z" measurement & manufactures like GF (George Fischer) do publish tables of these.

http://www.georgfischer.co.uk/go/?a...oad&doc_uuid=26E218AED60EB5F06623BBA2B6489AC7

Just as easy to measure the length of a plain bit of pipe, cut a thread & make on an elbow or tee (normally the same measurement), then re-measure end to center of fitting, take away the first measurement from the second & that is the "Z" measurement you should use (have to do that for each size).

P.S. After the first few weeks I was sent to another site to cut threads on the ends of some 4" galv shorts, the power drive had been sent back, they left me to cut them by hand. Now that was fun !!

so steve, here... 'all ways put clips up first and pipe to the clips' do you mean seat all the clips out for the install and work from that? Like they got you to do at college.

What do people find is the best way to seal the threads, PTFE or paste? Or does it depend on what pressure the pipework will be under?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installing steel pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
How it best to install pipework to best avoid airlocks with gravity hot water. Install level or slightly down hill in direction of flow? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I need to run this CH pipework to a radiator located beyond the electric wiring in the image below. Just to be safe I was wondering if...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock