Search the forum,

Discuss Installing Cold Water Storage Tank In Attic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

happycat99

Re. the overflow pipe: obv should enter the tank above max water level, but should the end of the pipe continue into the cistern and down below max water level? I've read this should be done to prevent draughts coming back along the pipe from outside. Is this correct?

The overflow pipe should be protected with a mesh screen to to stop insects an dirt entering. Should there be a screen at both ends of the pipe or only one?

Thanks

The byelaw overflow kit will have all the parts needed. The overflow should have its bend going down below the water level, but some are a bit short & need extended. The overflow fitting will have a mesh inside it to stop insects. This mesh can cause a danger of the overflow being blocked if the tank ever does overflow in the past & any scum blocks the fine filter - particularily on the heating expansion tanks overflows.
Obviously the tank requires a proper sealed lid with an air breather fitting & grommets for any holes in lid where expansion/vents pipes enter, plus you need a tank jacket.

Thanks Best.

Overflow lower than inlet - are there any regs how much lower?
E.g. overflow 25mm below inlet and max water level 25mm below overflow.

Also overlow should be on opposite wall of tank from inlet - is this strictly necessary?

Elsewhere on forum been said should be space for heat leak under tank i.e. shouldn't be roof insulation under it - why is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installing Cold Water Storage Tank In Attic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if you could help me. The overflow pipe drips intermittently from the large cold water storage tank in the loft. Not the small F and E tank. The ball valve has been checked and is working ok. The vent pipe from the hot water cylinder is not venting any water into the tank, and the...
Replies
Views
D
Hello. In this recent cold snap my loft has been getting condensation droplets form on the bitumen membrane. I had previously installed lap vents and minimised storage to improve air flow. The loft is well insulated apart form an area under the cold water tank. However my cold water tank is...
Replies
Views
DDangerous
D
Hi all, My mates recently bought a new old house and has had extensive work done including new bathrooms etc. We've got a few questions about the hot and cold water distribution. The house is supplied by cold water at around 3 bar, so decent enough pressure. The way it's set up at the moment...
Replies
Views
Hello. Decided to clean sediment from my cold water storage tank(just sediment nothing else is there). The pipe to the tank also splits off and feeds the hot water systems header tank(which also needs cleaned, but the boiler man can do that one). The water tank has 3 outlets. The overflow, one...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock