Discuss Installer installed undersized radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

diyer

Hi,
I had a new central heating system fitted last year and always thought it was cold but because I didn't really use it, as the property was being renovated at the time, I didn't think much of it.

I've finally got round to measuring the temps this year and it's freezing! The temps are reaching a max of 12C-13C with the heating on. I found out about undersized rads and worked out the required BTUs from online BTU calculators and found out that the rads are nearly all undersized by a fair bit.

Is there anything I can do legally being that it has been over a year since the installation?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi diyer and welcome. Can you give us some rad sizes and room sizes as examples to go on?

Hi diyer and welcome. Can you give us some rad sizes and room sizes as examples to go on?

Yep, just measured them!

Living room: 3.4m x 3.7m x 2.7m Rad installed: 1000mm x 600mm single BTU 3238
Bedroom 1: 3.5 x 3.4 x 2.6 Rad installed: 900mm x 450mm single BTU 2262
Bedroom 2: 3.77 x 2.5 x 2.65 Rad installed: 700mm x 450mm BTU 2007

What are the design perimeter that you have used ? room temp, outside temp, mean water temp. Do you know what the installer used ? if not write to them & ask also set out what you have found & ask them to comment / sort out, don't threaten anything at the moment.

P.S. What is the building construction ?

Last edited:
I would have go for living room K2 ( double panel double convector )
bedrooms P+ ( double panel single convector )

about ligal bit you need to speak to solicitor I think

I would have go for living room K2 ( double panel double convector )
bedrooms P+ ( double panel single convector )

about ligal bit you need to speak to solicitor I think
Not being funny but how the hell can you say that ??? whats the building construction, whats the design temps, here we go again guessing at rad sizes again this is not very helpful to the industry !!!!!!!!

What are the design perimeter that you have used ? room temp, outside temp, mean water temp. Do you know what the installer used ? if not write to them & ask also set out what you have found & ask them to comment / sort out, don't threaten anything at the moment.

P.S. What is the building construction ?

Not sure what you mean by design perimeter.
When I did the measurements, outside temp was 0C, inside was 10C and inside with rads on for a few hours was 12C.
The installer didn't do any calcs like that.

I've already spoken to the installer and it was only then that he came and measured the rooms and the rads. He came back and admitted that the downstairs (2 x Living room) are undersized and he'll change them for £45 each but that he reckons the upstairs (bedrooms) are fine and not willing to do anything (unless I pay full price obviously).

Construction is brick (terrace)

Not being funny but how the hell can you say that ??? whats the building construction, whats the design temps, here we go again guessing at rad sizes again this is not very helpful to the industry !!!!!!!!

He can say it as they are undersized by some way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installer installed undersized radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a slightly undersized radiator in my living room. The calculation says 6315 btus and my rad is 6019 btus. It was a replacement radiator...
Replies
Views
I have had some old radiators replaced. Having checked the btu calculation myself, the new radiator is slightly undersized. It should have been...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Jaga radiators (with heat-exchangers) have their own small fans, that "will modulate down when the room temperature is met – the room temperature...
Replies
Views
Back