Discuss Identification Problem: Can anyone tell me what these things are... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a couple of these things in line to what I think are the feeds to a shower mixer unit. The washers in the unit are leaking (they have been for some time but I've been reluctant to address the issue because I don't know where the isolation valves are and turning off at the mains seemed excessive until now).

Anyway things have come to a head and I now want to isolate the shower unit. I've traced the pipes (as well as I can, this isn't the easiest house to navigate behind the walls, if you know what I mean. It's old and it's been 'improved' several times).

I've found these, what are they?:

valve.jpg

Thanks, I think.

That makes a certain amount of sense - it would be something you might want to fit in a pipe going to a shower unit. Assuming they are fitted to pipes leading to the shower unit, I could replace them relatively simply with isolating valves and I'm happy.

Unfortunately, I can't be sure they *are* the pipes leading to the unit - so frustrating.

Ade, you can buy a combined filter/isolation valve. Some would say the filters are a bit overkill if it is ......supplying a shower

a combined filter/isolation valve

I just tried to Google that but I only got stuff for fuel systems (Gasoline/DERV/Oil) - I think you're right it's overkill on a modern water system.

I'll take a swing at replacing them with simple isolation valves tomorrow. Shutting off the mains and the hot water will be a start, but I'm laying in a LOT of towels and hoping the pipe doesn't have too much reserve. Such fun.

Tstation do a iso/strainer/flow reg valve, just take out the flow reg bit and its a full bore/iso/strainer valve with handle not screwdriver operated.

Make sure valves are full bore and really should incorporate double check valve if shower hose has no restraining ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Identification Problem: Can anyone tell me what these things are... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock