Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal one off repair - pitfalls? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

facet

I'm unhappy user of Ideal Isar HE30, that I inherited from previous owners.

All I know is:
1 off fee to fix the boiler apparently is 275 quid, paid upfront on a phone during arranging appointment. That supposed to include parts and labour, but excluding heat exchanger. For heat exchanger it is extra 145 quid. VAT included in both.

Is there any argument I can say to Ideal Customer service that will make them fix boiler at the reduced price, for free or replace heat exchanger for free [if it is knackered]?

I have read somewhere that in one of the parts insulation is collapsing inside and exposes bare metal that gets burned trough - and that it could be later repaired by some clips mounted that hold insulation in place. If it is the case and this is damaged - am I able to get free service, only on this part/ all parts due to manufacturing fault?

Is there anything tricky in them service they offer? Should I ask or pay attention to anything specific?

Can I keep heat exchanger, if it will get replaced, so I can get it examined by 3rd party - to confirm it was really broken? Or engineer have all rights just to take it away?

Is it possible that they would make system flush compulsory:
1. before any service commences or
2. after finding faults but before repairs or
3. to fit new heater exchange alone; or
4. that I will not get standard warranty [1 year] on parts if system will be not flushed?

Any other way I can be conned?

I would never mind to call serviceman but small prints - misinformation to make you pay more - official con-companies - scare tactic - make me sick. And in this case "warm front" is where it all started.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ideal_isar_boilers
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/warn_front_boiler_reliability_st

I can't believe clean game

Thank you in advance for any advice, so maybe I can order them tomorrow [fortunately I have electric shower and 2 oil rads] and be prepared.

I don't really understand your stance. If you agree to take them up on the fixed price the terms and conditions are what will be followed. The heat exchanger design fault should have been fixed when the boiler had it annual service/s done. If it has not ideal will not except liability for lack of maintenance even tho it was there poor design at fault in the first place. Might not seem fair but hey life's not.

best thing for you to do is get a local gas safe registered engineer in instead. Good luck.

The best thing you can do is keep your money ÂŁ275 plus 145 and put towards a new boiler with a 7 year warranty. Ideal have turned a corner with logic plus and vogue. Baxi is also same price as logic plus and has same warranty.

Don't start funning up that slippery slope with your boiler you will just end up with egg on your face.

As both above ^, write it off as a doozy you inherited with the house and tear it off the wall ;)

What problems are you having with the boiler?

Maybe cheaper for a local engineer if its a common fault...

if you do decide on a new boiler I would not fit an ideal... Why let them profiteer from there previous disaster!! It's the principle!

I was at an isar today... the pressure was at 0, topped it up and the tenant said it hadn't ran for months... then found water drip,drip,dripping out the HE :lol:

I had two breakages lately -second one is my mobile- it died so I can't reply on the go and now I need it most to promptly reply to you.

Maybe cheaper for a local engineer if its a common fault...
I was thinking about it as one of 4 options. Played it down as I thought - independent engineers pay much more for parts - so parts + labour might be even more expensive, no?

I suspect PCB fault.
I've read that self-maitenence of gas parts in boiler could invalidate home insurance after that I had a second thoughts.
But before that I checked continuity on PCB's 'flame detection electrode' pins. In frame 88 in a boiler's book it says if no continuity -> PSB faulty. On top of that users display flickers sometimes.
But it was displaying LF last time and about week ago other fault codes but reset was just fine then, so no notes were made.

if you do decide on a new boiler I would not fit an ideal... Why let them profiteer from there previous disaster!! It's the principle!
and I agree, we share the same principles
but there is one exemption - if fitting new boiler would cost too much rework on ie. piping -> that would cost me more. And I'm far away from financial comfort with mortgage :)

Baxi is also same price as logic plus and has same warranty.
Will the pipes fit? Which model is good?

Are boilers with alu heat exhanger as bad as people say? Is it that all cheap boilers have alu ones?

I'm generally thinking of scrapping Ideal, but I doubt I can get any more credit form banks, and from my [safe] calculations cost would be
900 boiler + 400 labour + 200 flush [5 average rads] ?

My azz is freezing but I tell my self that it is another 10 years investment and I better be 99% sure what I do. You pour CH in to my house :)

Any other ideas appreciated

Yep I would go for that, as you may have guessed already, the lads on here dont like Isars lol.
I'm no gas engineer but after reading cover story of "wormfront" I smell a rat and bribery - from our tax money I have a boiler that cost even more. Hate it.

the pressure was at 0, topped it up and the tenant said it hadn't ran for months... then found water drip,drip,dripping out the HE

Before turning off the whole thing, I've topped it up too. It also was dripping somewhere at the back at 1.3 bar

waiting for moderation of my posts is killing me :(:

I was at an isar today... the pressure was at 0, topped it up and the tenant said it hadn't ran for months... then found water drip,drip,dripping out the HE :lol:

I'm a fan of ideals. Replaced Mexico and e types with logics and vogues. I wouldn't replace a cdi with a greenstar!

I don't really understand your stance. If you agree to take them up on the fixed price the terms and conditions are what will be followed. The heat exchanger design fault should have been fixed when the boiler had it annual service/s done. If it has not ideal will not except liability for lack of maintenance even tho it was there poor design at fault in the first place. Might not seem fair but hey life's not.

T&C are nowhere on website, deal spoken on a phone. Apart from that I would not trust 100% a T&C in a matter I am not trained in.
Boiler inherited, don't know what was done on it. But thought that when something is life threatening you do recall or fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
ideal like all engineering companies put the onus on the service engineers to put there design correct buy selling a kit that could be used to correct the fault when the boiler had it regular service. Its not just ideal that has done this. Many car companies do the same when they have a design fault on a new model they fix it when you get its serviced.

as for warm front, it was a big tax payers rip off in most peoples eyes. Mainly from an heating engineers point of view because you had no means to compete for the work and the standard of the installs were shocking.

as for you pcb, you wont get advice about it on here. the only advise we can give is get a qualified person to fix your boiler for your own safety.

I know I might get slated for saying this
If you want a fixed price repair British gas do a similar thing as you have been quoted, but is based on time I think, range is 79, 199, 401.
I dont think I know anyone who likes the Isar/Icos but if money is tight it should be fixable

Ive just started to rip out Logics recently, 3 years old and it would have been 10 days to get the parts, so I got to put in an intergas
I luv ideals :)

Ive just started to rip out Logics recently, 3 years old and it would have been 10 days to get the parts, so I got to put in an intergas

Probably take a month to get any intergas spares lol, pretty rate still :p

This was the one you couldn't figure out how to fix if I remember from the thread?

So 'a logic' as opposed to 'logics'?

Smells like BS to me.

I have an entire estate of badly fitted Icos's on my doorstep. Don't know whether to target leaflets offering services at them or wait for them all to explode lol.

Smells like BS to me.

I have an entire estate of badly fitted Icos's on my doorstep. Don't know whether to target leaflets offering services at them or wait for them all to explode lol.

Do it ideal are being very selective of their own products at the minute. They now won't attend any istor out of warranty an engineer was telling me the other day

Okay then, to the OP - what would you think if a GS engineer dropped a leaflet through your door, explaining the severe consequences of neglecting your particular boilers servicing schedule, perhaps with a special offer on servicing? Etc etc

Smells like BS to me.

There's at least 3-4 large blocks of flats up here with them in, poor suckers :(.
Like the idea about the leaflets though :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal one off repair - pitfalls? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock