Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Icos HE24 pump keeps failing in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey guys I have a re-occurrent fault with the boiler in my rented house. The boiler has had many problems and been "fixed" by several engineers but no matter what, the pump always seems to fail and then needs replaced. It's been replaced about 4 times in the last couple of years ( once within a couple of weeks! ) and is currently not working again! We had a British Gas Home Care engineer out yesterday and they sorted the 2 water leaks that were coming from the boiler but won't have the parts ( including a new pump ) to get it fully working until tomorrow ( Wednesday ). It's a horrible situation when you have 3 kids and no heating and hot water since Saturday!

I notice that we sometimes hear gurgling from the pipes and when I check the radiators, they are often just full of air and require bleeding. I also have to repeatedly keep checking the water pressure. It seems to drop all of a sudden. I thought there could maybe be a break in a pipe but since the water pressure drops suddenly rather than gradually I'm thinking that would not make sense?

Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks, Charlie

If you’re getting trapped air, and frequently adding fresh oxygenised water into the system, then you’ll be diluting the inhibitor (protectant), resulting in poor water quality, which could have an adverse effect on your pump/other components.

Hey thanks Aquarius. I had to look that up and I don't think there will be any of that left in the system! In fact there has just been water in it as far as I know since I moved here 6 years ago. So that's what could be causing the issues? None of the engineers have mentioned this before, or do you think they add it when they are changing the pump/ doing other repairs?

Reply to Ideal Icos HE24 pump keeps failing in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days it's increased whilst cold...is this a regular problem.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock