Discuss I like wales and west in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lame plumber

popped an intergas on the wall as a ravenheat had had a terminal failure. Standing pressure was 23 mb, so surprised to see wp of 13mb when I flashed up the new combi, :( wondered about my pipe calcs, but checked they were ok, so checked at meter and same issue. Rang transco at 2 today and engineer turned up in 1/2 an hour and he pointed out old 3/4 feed had been lined so down to less than 20mm on incoming and hence the issue. 10 mins later he had arranged for road team to dig up and lay new incoming to rear of house, as no way of getting new incoming to understairs situ and for another lad to do to my now redundant supply. All to start happening at 0830 tommorrow. custard although worried was dead chuffed it would all be sorted in less than 24 hours, being he is cut off at present.

So unlike up north, wales and west seems to look after us down here:)

Always had a good service from them here too, was that 13 at the meter?

you lucky this time, should have checked before fitting new boiler.

good gassy's always look both ways when crossing a one way road :)

so tell me. apart from standing pressure that showed 23mb at old boiler which wasnt working, how does one get a working pressure smart bum.

Lame, listen and learn :biggrin5:
so the boilers dead and there's no other gas appliances in the house.
Here's how you do it,
connect your u gauge to the meter as per normal, then disconnect the gas cock from the old boiler,

now get an assistant or the customer to watch the u gauge & take a reading while you open boiler gas cock for a few seconds.
13mb or so and you know there's a problem

it's easy if you know how :biggrin5:

wales and west good as gold though i know most of them,so get on ok with the utilities

so it is easy to test on a duff boiler, but as I am in the wales and west area theres no need to worry as they relay a pipe anyhow and got a call at 3 oclock today saying it was all done. From now on, no need to waste time seeing if enough gas on broken boilers as it gets repaired pronto plus, I am not sure your method is considered reliable being that an open end wont give you a very reliable reading and it isnt a methology Id be teaching anyone

Here's how you do it,
connect your u gauge to the meter as per normal, then disconnect the gas cock from the old boiler,

now get an assistant or the customer to watch the u gauge & take a reading while you open boiler gas cock for a few seconds.

Don't agree with this it needs to allow a set volume of gas to pass to mean anything. Open ended pipe will be massively over what an appliance will burn.

Just crack open a gas pipe, and fill the kitchen with gas for a few minutes lol, is that really the advise were giving!!!? :O

even if that did prove the pressure was low still need to call the gas board either way... So not really worth doing on every job when its a 1/100 type problem...

Use a purge and blast it outside. Adjust purge aperture to get gas rate u need. 22 mm gate valve 1 1/2 = 4m3 hr ish

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's how you do it,

Filling the room with gas and the cust's Mrs coming down *** lit asking why there is a smell of gas!
Not really the safest way of testing is it? Tell cust they will need new boiler but do quick calc on gas supply and advise before hand that the gas supply may be insufficient, but will only know when new boiler is up and running. Would save blowing up the street.

Don't agree with this it needs to allow a set volume of gas to pass to mean anything. Open ended pipe will be massively over what an appliance will burn.

you dont open the gas cock fully but even if you did, it's not massively over to make any real difference. [ Meter capacity 6m3/hr & boiler gas rate say 3m3/hr ]
but remember we we are only checking w/p at meter and not gas rating, so just need a flow of gas to do this and it does'nt matter whether the gas is being burnt or not.

Also remember that you should be doing a tightness test before you start, so it's easy to check the meter w/p at the same time, as u gauge is already set up.

Most times transco are not gonna be so quick to put things right, so the sooner you know the pressures low, the quicker it gets fixed.
There's nothing worse than a cold customer with no heating looking for someone to blame, and that someones gonna be you sad

you dont open the gas cock fully but even if you did, it's not massively over to make any real difference. [ Meter capacity 6m3/hr & boiler gas rate say 3m3/hr ]
but remember we we are only checking w/p at meter and not gas rating, so just need a flow of gas to do this and it does'nt matter whether the gas is being burnt or not.

3m3/hr difference on a 20/25 mm service pipe is massive. Enough to change a 21mb working pressure to 11/12/13 mb. The real trouble is a lot of areas are way off of 75mb before the regulator round my way its about 26-30mb standing.

Most times transco are not gonna be so quick to put things right, so the sooner you know the pressures low, the quicker it gets fixed.
There's nothing worse than a cold customer with no heating looking for someone to blame, and that someones gonna be you sad

Fully agree with this but they will only deal with the here and now and not what ifs unfortunately.

Last edited:
I agree 3m3/hr changes the pressure,
but what I mean is if you've got 13mb with the gas cock slightly open, you know there's a problem.
so opening the gas cock fully wont make any difference, as we already know there's a problem

Your not permitted to purge internally . I've done it loads when service is dirty , ecv fully open and catch the debris in your eyeS!

Filling the room with gas and the cust's Mrs coming down *** lit asking why there is a smell of gas!
Not really the safest way of testing is it?
Tell cust they will need new boiler but do quick calc on gas supply and advise before hand that the gas supply may be insufficient, but will only know when new boiler is up and running. Would save blowing up the street.

It is a bit difficult to purge a new gas supply internally any other way, and well within the regs. Obviously telling *** ash lill 1st tho!

Lol, just reread the last posts again, my post was re purging at appliance. However I have and do often purge an old service if it looks a bit rough externally and a new supply and boiler has been installed.

I use hob or fire. Best practice then let boiler try a few times. Dosnt take long to clear service even 35mm. Open windows and doors remove ignition and purge calculated volume, is a bit different to blasting service into room!

seem to be missing the point here, I just like W & W as they respond so well to a poor gas feed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I like wales and west in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock