Search the forum,

Discuss How to remove siliconed rail off tiled bathroom wall in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Please can someone tell me the best way of removing a siliconed folding support rail that has been siliconed to a tiled bathroom wall at my mums. I can't get a hacksaw blade in between the wall and the plate and I can't get any thin windscreen cutter wire in as there is no gap. I don't really want to damage the tiles as I have no replacements.

Unfortunately you sometimes have no choice. When I come across this I use a wallpaper scraper and a hammer, start at the top of the profile and work my way down. If the tiles are well bonded you should be fine. If they're not then they'll likely fall off.

As above, thin filler / scraper knife, put pressure on one side of the handle if possible to lift if off the tile to get the scraper under.
Or one of these to start it off, single edged razor blade,
Razor blade.PNG

You can get solvents that help detach silicone from the surface it's been bonded to. I believe, but have never tried it myself, that WD40 also works for this. As always, test for staining, etc. on a small hidden area of tiles first.

It won't be just silicone holding the support bar to the wall. There should be some pretty meaty bolts involved too. The silicone may only be a bead to seal the gap.

You can get solvents that help detach silicone from the surface it's been bonded to. I believe, but have never tried it myself, that WD40 also works for this. As always, test for staining, etc. on a small hidden area of tiles first.

It won't be just silicone holding the support bar to the wall. There should be some pretty meaty bolts involved too. The silicone may only be a bead to seal the gap.
I have removed the screws holding the it to the wall but the silicone has been applied to the face of the plate before it was tightened and there's hardly any gap. Thanks for your replies and I will try with a thin sharp blade a bit at a time.

Reply to How to remove siliconed rail off tiled bathroom wall in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Can anyone tell me where I can get a walk in shower enclosure glass wall channel with about 50mm - 60mm of adjustment in it? I hired a bathroom fitting company to gut and replace 4 bathrooms in a block of holiday flats. In one of the bathrooms they missed an extremely out of plumb wall. Their...
Replies
Views
Hello, Our bathroom was installed 9 months ago by what we know were tradespeople who did not have the skill or experience to do so. Several revisits to fix leaks, poor siliconing and retile whole wall and reinstall shower tray were needed and in the end we just accepted it, even though it’s...
Replies
Views
Good morning! First post looking for advice on an issue I am having with a bath installation. Although I have installed many baths before, mainly using perimeter battens for support, I am attempting to install a fancy whirlpool/jacuzzi bath for my son. Plumbing and electrics are sorted but my...
Replies
Views
We had an Aqualisa rise shower fitted about 4 years ago - the rail has no screws - there is a locking mechanism and a tool provided to remove it. Unfortunately the fitters fitted our rail upside down so the locking mechanism is at the top so difficult to see (and against the wall). The aqualisa...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock