Search the forum,

Discuss How to fix Hot water but no Heating in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All
Seems I have hot water but no heating. I seem to have a two pump system. The green pump (high left) throbs gently but the red one (low right) does not vibrate at all. Pipe at the top of the red pump is very hot, pipe at the bottom merely hot so I presume the red pump does the heating (how do I tell? ) and is broken. What does the other pump do? Hot water pressure?
I read elsewhere that I am supposed to turn off the power (tricky as there is no switch!) and undo the silver nut in the middle (very stiff and actually has a 20p piece wedged in the slot - presumably where someone else tried to turn it)
How should I proceed?
The
Hot Water tank and pumps small.jpg

[automerge]1607020128[/automerge]
Hi All
Seems I have hot water but no heating. I seem to have a two pump system. The green pump (high left) throbs gently but the red one (low right) does not vibrate at all. Pipe at the top of the red pump is very hot, pipe at the bottom merely hot so I presume the red pump does the heating (how do I tell? ) and is broken. What does the other pump do? Hot water pressure?
I read elsewhere that I am supposed to turn off the power (tricky as there is no switch!) and undo the silver nut in the middle (very stiff and actually has a 20p piece wedged in the slot - presumably where someone else tried to turn it)
How should I proceed?

Crisis averted. While figuring out how to turn off the power to the pump I found out that there was no power going into the pump. The main thermostat said heating should be on but clearly it was not directing power to the pump. So I fiddled with the contacts in the main thermostat and suddenly there was power, a working pump and heat. NO idea what I actually moved so it will probably recur but for now, bliss

Last edited:
Blimey , not seen one of those for a while , if the thermostat was wired as well as the connector block coming out of the wall that will have been the problem.
The other pump is not for water pressure it is just to move the heat around the store so it all ends up at an even / ish temperature.
I would consider changing the system , if the cylinder ever leaks its curtains lol .

The other pump is not for water pressure it is just to move the heat around the store so it all ends up at an even / ish temperature.
Thanks for the info. Pump that size with three 'power' settings seems a bit OTT just to "stir the water in the tank"
If that is the case, where does the bottom pipe go to when it disappears through the bottom panel of the cupboard?

I would consider changing the system , if the cylinder ever leaks its curtains lol .
I'm an engineer - Ain't broke, don't fix it :) Probably only a loft extension (so I can put in a staircase) or major tank failure will get it replaced.

Heating system in my last house was there when I arrived and still going strong when I left 20 years later. Mind you they built to last in those days: -)!!

Apologies I may have given u the wrong info , I originally thought it was a thermal store which is what the Flowmax’s were , not sure now .
I am on my phone 5 lol with a screen as big as a match box , will have a proper look later and get back to you

Apologies I may have given u the wrong info , I originally thought it was a thermal store which is what the Flowmax’s were , not sure now .
I am on my phone 5 lol with a screen as big as a match box , will have a proper look later and get back to you
No worries.
Always interested in learning about things so any informed views are very welcome.
No rush, the crisis has been averted!!

No worries.
Always interested in learning about things so any informed views are very welcome.
No rush, the crisis has been averted!!
X
Just had a proper look ,I defo was wrong the pump on the left is from the boiler to heat the store , that explains the settings etc , pump on right to to rads . Like I said its fine until the cylinder leaks

Reply to How to fix Hot water but no Heating in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock