Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water tank heats up when we only have the heating on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nick_cwm

Hello,

We are having problems with our archaic back boiler heating and ho****er. Before we payout hundreds for a plumbers I thought I would ask on here....

Basically the system is very old, a baxi back boiler.Recently the hot water tank has started to heatup when we only have the heating switched on. It is literally boiling and I suspect will never stop heating up.

We have a glow-worm old skool control timer, the actual timer bit doesnt work and we just use it for the switch to continuous.

Any ideas other that replacing the whole thing. This isnt an option as we rent and my landlord is my sister with no money!

Hi Nick, welcome along.
firstly are you sure this is a new thing???

it all depends on what controls you have and how it is piped up.
probably most back boiler run on gravity for hot water and are set up so that the water is automatically on when the heating is on.
maybe some more description and pictures of controls/pipes would be helpful.

Well if it's rented. Tell your landlord. He has to provide you with an economic way of heating the premises and a safe and economic supply of hot potable water.

looks like your sister is obligated to pay for the plumbers which is what is needed, a good look around in person. in the meantime i'd turn the back boiler stat down if you've no control over hot water temp and its scalding. if the hot water doesnt stop getting hotter and hotter i'd ring a plumber sharpish.

Thanks for all your responses. The stat on the boiler doesnt seem to work so the water keeps getting hotter and hotter.

I have attached a few pics, it is rented but informally from my sister and for cheap so we are looking for the cheapest way to fix the problem. As the timer was broken I got a honeywell one from ebay. Try to fit it and couldnt, I then paid ÂŁ50 for a plumber who couldnt even connect it and put the old one back!

I cant remember if the heating has always heated up the tank, maybe it has but not as much as it is now. it must just be boiling away.

One thing that has happened recently is that when you use a hot water tap, no matter which one, it comes through slowly. COuld there be something connected here? WP_20140212_007.jpgWP_20140212_005.jpgWP_20140212_008.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to add one more thing. This seems to be happening since the plumber re-wired the timer....

The light of the HW swtich is always one, even when the switch is off. Also there is a constant noise from one of the mechanical valves. I have disconnected the cable that is the brown and blue for the HW to stop the valve going. Hot water still heats up tho.

That is an old system. The valves and wiring look like motor open, motor closed valves. You need someone that knows what they are doing with such an old and rare system. It sounds as though it may be wired up wrong but even then there could be an underlying fault. This is not something that can be fixed with a bit of advice over the internet.

Just an old s plan at a glance. Probs need new two port. Some ones messed up cyl stat and probs boiled the crap to block drawoffs.

Plumber and renew heating controls. Check DHW drawoffs. Get it sorted
As if it boils over and header is poor some one could get seriously scalded. Little girl burned to death last year by issues similar to yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
nick, if you put your location there may be someone from here who could come and sort this out for you

Thanks for your reply. we will act on this then. just so i can make suggestions to the plumber.. what is a two port? and you think the cylinder stat is broken? what are draw offs?

I live in Abercarn, near Newport South wales. WOuld be nice if we can get it fixed with minimal cost for now. I really think I will try to convince my sister to get a new system....

Finished job yesterday and Erm was pretty much spot on
Couldn't fit the ebay clock the customer bought (second hand) as the casing was cracked open and exposing wiring etc behind, so seeing as two people had both had a go at it, the first thing to do was start from scratch, not that easy when there were 4 browns and an earth going to the BBU and other cables were also the same
So once all were identified and wired back in correctly (with a new clock) the cyl stat was found to be shot, along with the HW two port(motor on, motor off)
These were then renewed and after a swine of a job to refill (lots of air and a very tired original pump) all was good
Boiler stat was also checked as he didn't think it was working (all good)

Hi all, thatnks for your collective help. All sorted now and, whilst empty of pocket, please to have it all working again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water tank heats up when we only have the heating on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
K
We have a dual heating system, a solid fuel stove with back boiler and a external kerosene heater. The kerosene heater is working fine heating the radiators and the water for the taps The solid fuel stove will heat the water for the taps but the radiators will only get luke warm. Can anyone...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley warm air heating and hot water tank in airing cupboard. All has been working fine until yesterday. We had the water softener serviced and since then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock