Search the forum,

Discuss High gain unvented cylinder in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

R

rk1655

Hi there

I am looking at changing my vented cylinder to an unvented 210L. I currently have a 30kw system boiler which I would like to continue using with the new cylinder.

Looking at the various manufacturers of unvented cylinders, I see some of them have ‘high gain’ versions, such as Joule and Telford. These seem to have a much reduced recovery time.

My question is do these high gain cylinders need a higher powered boiler than mine, to provide the fast recovery times, or is my boiler sufficient?

Thanks in advance

rk1655

Look at the high gain coil capacity if it’s over 30kw no point

@ShaunCorbs Would a high gain (=fast recovery?) cylinder not reduce cylinder reheat times anyway as it would absorb more heat from the boiler once the cylinder is partially up to temperature? After all, most cylinder heating takes place with a part-warm cylinder.

Under what temperature conditions is the coil rating calculated?

@ShaunCorbs Would a high gain (=fast recovery?) cylinder not reduce cylinder reheat times anyway as it would absorb more heat from the boiler once the cylinder is partially up to temperature? After all, most cylinder heating takes place with a part-warm cylinder.

Under what temperature conditions is the coil rating calculated?

Yes as it would take a higher kw than let’s say a normal cylinder

Eg if you put 20kw in and it takes 60. Mins to heat up you could put 40kw in and it would be around the 35 mins

Yes as it would take a higher kw than let’s say a normal cylinder

Eg if you put 20kw in and it takes 60. Mins to heat up you could put 40kw in and it would be around the 35 mins
Thanks for that Shaun. As you probably know I have personal experience of normal but modern vented cylinders not accepting the full output of even modest (sub-15kW) boilers once the cylinder is partially warm, so good to hear there is some basis for my bias.

Reply to High gain unvented cylinder in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably no need for me to needlessly heat hot water. My intention was to turn the boiler off along with the mains water when going away. Now, I have heard...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock