Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss High efficiency gas fire or wood burning stove? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetdrip

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Guys, I've been thinking for some while now about sticking a woodburner in the lounge.
However, I've noticed many are doing much the same, and as such, the wood costs are creeping up.
I can source my own wood too, however, when I factor in petrol and time costs I'm starting to think H.E Gas fire.
Any thoughts from you guys would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Logs etc are on the up, just waiting for the woodchip bubble to burst.

I think, unless you have your own supply, stoves are getting pretty expensive to run. We have one in the back room. Its only lit when I have enough scrap timber to burn on it. After all, I'm only a poor plumber :)

By high efficiency if you mean flueless gas fire I wouldnt bother.
By the time you have made a suitable hole in the wall for ventilation youve negated the efficiency in real terms....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go wood burner (multifuel in fact) so you have another option if there is ever an issue with the gas supply.

wood burner mate all day long, as long as you have somewhere to stack it and store it you are sorted.

A wood burner has Much more character & nicer to look at, plus you get the nice wood crackling sound. Although gas is cheap & no mess or ash like a wood burner.

I have a lovely stanley stove in d house. Great heat off it and very relaxing to look at. Get 1 , ye won't b sorry. There's still heat off it d next morning.

Just bought a Dimplex langbrook smoke exempt stove, its multifuel. very good. its a very efficient one as long as you get the air mix right. You do need a fair bit of wood to get a night out of it. Its only 5 kw as well.

I would go for the woodburner. I plan to put one in its just getting the time to do it.

Ooh forgot to say make sure you get one with air wash vents, or ya glass will look gash after a few burns.

We got a multi fuel they are better than gas fires however draw backs are mess cleaning them , need at least a year in advanced of dry timber and storage .

We got a multi fuel they are better than gas fires however draw backs are mess cleaning them , need at least a year in advanced of dry timber and storage .

I use smokeless coal when aint got wood, But i overloaded mine thinking it wasn't getting hot and before i new it the insides were glowing and the glass cracked doh. Dimplex sent me a new free glass though.

Oh just one more thing ( i feel like columbo). Ya can buy little fans that tuck behind the flue and blow the heat into the room. they look really good. Gonna buy one myself.

yeah defiantly gonna invest when i get some spare cash. ya can get more expensive ones with more fins, dont know how much difference it makes though.

Last edited by a moderator:
No such thing as a HE stove. Most of heat goes up the flue. I have an effe gas one in house. Solid fuel too messy plus liners are expensive

Coal effect gas fires are like fake designer clothes, cheaper to buy and not as fussy to look after but everyone can tell it's not the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to High efficiency gas fire or wood burning stove? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock