Currently reading:
hi new to this and looking for help

Discuss hi new to this and looking for help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chazkelly1985

hi guys just joined the forum, its lucky i did as i was about to sign up to olci training course before i found this place

so heres a few things about me im 25 and worked most of my life until recently when i got release from my tech support contract (all jobs went to india)

anyway im a keen diyer and was looking for a way into either plumbing or electrics thats where i seen olci (have done semi basic/advanced plumbing and electrical work as i also used to do propery until i lost a bomb in the recesion)

im looking for a way to train for my svq3 (im in falkirk, scotland) in plumbing and would like to know the best/quickest way to do it

i know i couldnt get trained up in 8 weeks (which olci said i could) and was wanting to know if i did do this course or a course like it how long would i ave to work with a property skilled plumber befor getting my svq3

i should alsosay i was working for a firm where i was tiling bathrooms and installing them as well but that was a few years back the owner retired

any help would be great guys

Welcome to Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK!

Hello chazkelly1985, welcome aboard www.UKPlumbersForums.co.uk. Stick around, I'm sure you'll like the place. :)

Why does everyone want to be a plumber? What is wrong with being a dentist?
I hear the REALLY DO make good money. I think i will retrain as a dentist as my body aches with this crawling around doing plumbing shyt. I wouldn't even mind looking into all the bogging mouths. I have basic experience at the dentisting as I once pulled a tooth out when i was about 12, peece of peese so i am halfway there :rolleyes:

Honestly trained up in 8 weeks, to do what? These training school places are just after your cash. Don't believe the hype. You will be qualified in nothing. In Scotland (different from England), the minimum qualification is SVQ3 (NVQ3).
It's your cash though. Spend it as you see fit. You have as much chance of getting a start with a plumbing firm as i have winning the lottery (i don't do it) unless your sister is shag_ging a plumber.
Since you are in Falkirk they have a decent tech at Middlesfield. Speak to them they may have spaces.

As you used to "do property" maybe this would be of use, and cheaper!
LETTINGS PROPERTY MANAGER - Prestigious company Scotcareers Edinburgh | Scotcareers

Hi Chaz
Welcome to the forums,pleased they have helped you out already,hope you enjoy
:):)

well i thought that being fully trained in 8 weeks and making £60,000 p/a and being able to tell other plumbers i meet that im more qualified and therefore better than them coz iv been recently trained and theyre still using old methods sounded really good....

lol i know there is no way to be anywhere near as qualified as a fully time served plumber in 8 weeks but as im 25 there is no way into an apprenticeship so i thought this might be a good way to start off

its like the driving test, yes you can learn to drive and pass the test pretty quickly but your no where near as good as a experianced driver

hi welcome is thier no where near you that you could do night collage

reguards stu

iv tried to find out about the college thing but got no luck at all

hi chaz. welcome to the forums. its hard getting into college, they dont seem to have many places and you have to wait forever, so ended up doing a course with olci in the end. was at the centre in livingston for my practicals…my course includes the nvq3 – already got the level 2 and starting out for towards the level 3 soon, and happy with how its going. my employer didnlt need me to have the svq and looking to start out on my own eventually anyway so happy enough doing that.

@ NVivas, hi thanks, good to talk to someone from where i was thinking of going to

with the nvq3 how are they giving you that, coz when i asked they said you need a portfolio and need to be working to get it?

are you training there and working as well?, also how did you find the course/place as anyfeed back you could give would be great

when you have done the city and guilds 6129 course how would you progress on to the NVQ?
Is there any companies who would take me on to help me get to my NVQ level 2. Because like you say without this you arent going to get any further.

Did that 8 week course olc training a while ago, was good to get all the skills you need and gave me my start in the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hi new to this and looking for help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock