Discuss Help with uneven heat in new replacement radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be connected to the hot water circuit which goes to the cylinder - this is quite common for heated towel rails. Did the radiator work during the summer when the heating was off?

Also be aware if your cylinder is controlled by a thermostat - when the cylinder reaches temperature, it will shut the radiator off too.

Yes the radiator is ALWAYS on with the water - even in summer, but not a problem in the bathroom.
No thermostat that I know of on the cylinder and the water has been known to get T-O-O hot!

is your system fully pumped if not the balancing of the heating circuit will have little effect on a rad fed by gravity

As far as I know it is fully pumped - how can I tell if the bathroom isn't?

If it isn't fully pumped, the pump will only go on when the central heating is required.

Firstly, do not touch any of the valves or lockshields on the rest of your radiators - they are on a different circuit.

Did you reuse the old radiator valves or did you fit modern ones? For gravity, you need valves and lockshields suitable for gravity heating systems.

Pump seems quiet when heating water at the moment, but I'm sure I hear it kick-in when programmer first switches on... I'll have to check
No bought new B&Q valves - just standard valves they can be used with wheel or as lockshield

What is the difference and what difference to balancing if the water and new rad is gravity fed?

I forgot to mention earlier the pipework is 15mm

Last edited by a moderator:
OK ripped up the floors and placed a glass of water on the pump then got she-who-must-be-obeyed to switch on the water - the pump was quiet, no vibration through the water in the glass - so I think we can now assume that what I have is a gravity feed to the hot water and thus to the bathroom radiator.

So does that mean that it is a completely separate circuit from the main room radiators and balancing them will have no effect on he bathroom?

WHPS: I have been searching the web for valves that are specifically for gravity systems but none seem to mention what system they are for - how do I tell which are suitable?

Finally where do I go from here? trying to get a good flow of heat in my bathroom radiator when the heating is on?

OK ripped up the floors and placed a glass of water on the pump then got she-who-must-be-obeyed to switch on the water - the pump was quiet, no vibration through the water in the glass - so I think we can now assume that what I have is a gravity feed to the hot water and thus to the bathroom radiator.
Another trick is to use a screw driver or metal rod as a stethoscope (one end against the pump, the other in your ear).

How many pipes are there connected to your boiler (ignore the gas pipe)? If more than two, you have a pumped heating, gravity HW system.

So does that mean that it is a completely separate circuit from the main room radiators and balancing them will have no effect on the bathroom?
If it is a gravity HW, balancing the rads may have an effect on the bathroom rad. This is because balancing the rads could make mean the pump can be run at a lower speed, which makes more flow available to the gravity circuit. You need to balance the rads in any case as it obviously has never been done.

I have been searching the web for valves that are specifically for gravity systems but none seem to mention what system they are for - how do I tell which are suitable?
The pipes on a gravity circuit are normally 28mm, so 15mm valves will create a significant restriction. That's why the towel rails in old houses were made of scaffold-pole sized chrome pipes with valves to match.

15mm TRVs are no good on a gravity circuit. Danfoss make TRVs specifically for gravity circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with uneven heat in new replacement radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock