Discuss Help with UFH in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Buzza

Hello,

We had a new boiler installed and UFH in Jan 2012 and we have never been 100% happy with the UFH. It seems to have gotten worse over the years. It is installed in our kitchen (7m x 3m). The manifold is a Polypipe with 2 outputs and the boiler is a Worcester 30Si IV.

We have 2 thermostats, the UFH one, which is currently set to be 20C 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The main house stat also set at 20C with the timer set on the boiler to come on at various time throughout the day.

The kitchen rarely feels warm this time of year and it is normally about 14C in the morning and 16-17C at night. I started checking the temp of the water going though the pump at different times of the day. What I noticed was hot water is only getting to the manifold when the heating is on between the timed zones of our boiler, and only then if the main house stat is "on" (ie temp is colder than stat).

I can have the heating on, turn the main stat right down, check the manifold in the garage and no flow will be going through the 2 ported block.

My understanding was that the UFH would come on/off controlled by the Polypipe stat and the rad heating would be as normal on the house stat / boiler timer.

Currently my heating is off at the boiler timer. the UHF pump is still pumping water around and the flow indicators are down. Water temp is 28C whereas it was about 50-55C an hour ago when the heating was on.

Can someone say if this is right / wrong / how it should work / if I should get a pro out to look at it.

Would pictures of the manifold / pipes from bottom of boiler help?

Thanks.

It's wired wrong. Your UFH isn't switching the boiler on. What boiler do u have and take a photo of ufh manifold. What temp is pipe stat set to

Might be wired correctly, but plumbed in wrong. If the plumber connected into the radiator pipework instead of direct into main flow and return.
this will only then work when your radiators are calling for heat.

Like ermi said its possibly never been wired correctly from the start. Have you a separate control ( timer ) for the ufh or is it just through the heating clock and the room stat. I'd always use ufh as a separate zone to rads for more control. Your ufh pump is running continuously because your stat is calling for heat. If it was wired through heating at clock then it won't come on while you've heating off . Get someone in to give your system a look over and check all wiring and controls

It's wired wrong. Your UFH isn't switching the boiler on. What boiler do u have and take a photo of ufh manifold. What temp is pipe stat set to

I can't post links yet so cant post the pics, do you know what the post count is to remove the limit?

I have a Worcester 30Si IV.

Is the pipe stat on the manifold like a rad trv? if so it is set to it's highest (did this a few weeks ago to see if it would help)

Like ermi said its possibly never been wired correctly from the start. Have you a separate control ( timer ) for the ufh or is it just through the heating clock and the room stat. I'd always use ufh as a separate zone to rads for more control. Your ufh pump is running continuously because your stat is calling for heat. If it was wired through heating at clock then it won't come on while you've heating off . Get someone in to give your system a look over and check all wiring and controls

the ufh is controlled via a wireless polypipe gizmo. temp and schedules.

But if rads have no zv when ufh on rads on not vice versa?

Sorry I don't understand that. What is ZV?

Zone valve. Oh dear you've got the cacca poo trv / pocket type mixer. I bet no wires from stat / zone valve even going to boiler. Was the installer a twit?

7788924bd78c8858a893a09eb31d9c56.jpg
9f89b657469f2021033187674fb36aaf.jpg
22e4d0a457e8bc8a368c8708c13894ba.jpg
7591e79b5f38321224f6157d3fd552e0.jpg
d4066c90bcc4d1e56dae8cd9b236d293.jpg
e2cc4b56d9f666073e5118018b36d8cc.jpg

Looking at the pictures I would assume that the Installer has mad a wiring fault.

And a few install errors. Gas pipe : electric cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with UFH in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock