Search the forum,

Discuss Help identifying type of pipe system in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Can anyone identify this adapter? It's 22mm copper to an unknown plastic piping system (non-standard size, I think it's 25mm or similar). It's on an older UFH system.

Failing that, any alternative suggestions are welcome. I need to replace the mixing valve and the manifold, so due to the new mixing valve being slightly different size, I need to adjust the pipework to accomodate it. I'd rather work in 22mm copper, but I need some adapters to go from the non-standard system to 22mm copper, as replacing all the pipe is not an option.

Thanks

Attachments

• forum1.png
    forum1.png
    777.3 KB · Views: 38
  • forum2.png
    forum2.png
    502.1 KB · Views: 40
If this in the UK?

25mm od is a standard size for metric plastic pipe, but I've not seen it used in domestic heating. With any luck someone will tell us that I'm wrong but, to me, that looks remarkably like 25mm overflow pipe, or possibly electrical conduit, and the 25/22mm adaptors look very like the slightly soft sleeves used to terminate washing machine drain hoses.

Does the installation have any paperwork available? E.g. the quote / invoice from when it was installed.

If this in the UK?

25mm od is a standard size for metric plastic pipe, but I've not seen it used in domestic heating. With any luck someone will tell us that I'm wrong but, to me, that looks remarkably like 25mm overflow pipe, or possibly electrical conduit, and the 25/22mm adaptors look very like the slightly soft sleeves used to terminate washing machine drain hoses.

Does the installation have any paperwork available? E.g. the quote / invoice from when it was installed.
i don’t think this is uk based

If this in the UK?

Yes, this is from a property in London. There is no paperwork available, as the installation was done 10-15 years ago and the property got sold several times in the meantime. Do you guys know of any solvent weld fittings strong enough to work on such a heating system? If I can find some 25mm to 22mm ones or make some adapters, I could then work in 22mm copper to complete the work.

I could be wrong but it’s likely Hunter Genova, cpvc pressure pipe. Still in use in America, no longer used over here.

cpvc can become brittle over time and I’d be careful when working on it. Due to the high pressure when compared to our solvent weld wastes, the solvent needs 24hrs to cure.

I wouldn’t be trying to find cpvc fittings/pipe etc, I’d be using a transition fitting and converting as much to modern push fit plastics or copper.

I’d honestly want to rip it all out. If not, any transitions should be left accessible.

If unscrewing any fittings, make sure to brace the pipe to reduce the risk of breaking it at the next fitting.

Pilmac transition couplings work but are bulky.

If you check the od, the pipe is larger than its equivalent in copper or push fit. However, the walls are quite thick and should have enough meat on them for you to file/sand the OD down by about 0.5mm. Once sanded, modern pushfit like grey polyplumb or hep20 should fit as a transition.

This is advice, might be completely wrong but I would plan to use a third party transition coupling and have a back up plan.

Use this information at your own risk!

It is Hunter Genova fittings are available but you need to hunt for them online this may work for you could transition from cpvc to copper . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230209-070310.png
    Screenshot_20230209-070310.png
    455.4 KB · Views: 20
It’s a bdyj to work with best to repipe

It is Hunter Genova fittings are available but you need to hunt for them online this may work for you could transition from cpvc to copper . Kop
Thanks a lot.

Based on the pictures I attached, Genova pipe is slighly larger that the 22mm copper. So my thinking is that's it's 1" pipe (25.4mm) as opposed to 3/4" (19.05mm), unless the sizing is not based on OD.

Could you help me decide what size fitting I need? In case it's 1" indeed, this seems to be the right part for the job, but I can't find it in the UK.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 10-39-06 1 x 3_4 CTS CPVC Female Adapter Reducing Special Reinforced ...png
    Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 10-39-06 1 x 3_4 CTS CPVC Female Adapter Reducing Special Reinforced ...png
    232.3 KB · Views: 15
3/4 measures 1” od
1” measures 11/4 od

Right. It doesn't look like anybody in the UK sells any CPVC cement. I can't find it anywhere. The only thing that says CPVC on it is the Polypipe Solvent Cement, but it says it's only for non-pressure systems, so I don't think that'll work either.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 18-33-33 Polypipe Solvent Cement 250ml.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 18-33-33 Polypipe Solvent Cement 250ml.png
    170.6 KB · Views: 7

Reply to Help identifying type of pipe system in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock