Discuss Help appreciated for back boiler ventilation problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MAG

Hi there,

I really hope someone can help me.

I am a tenant in a mid-terrace property with a back boiler (approx 15 years old) situated behind the gas fire in the living room. There is a floor vent of 100cm2 near to the fire and boiler and two brick vents on the outside under the living room window.

I had Scottish Gas in yesterday to fix some leaky radiators and was issued with an "At Risk" notice for the boiler due to insufficient ventilation and switched off my heating. Reasons given were as follows:-

1) Vents on the outside were not of the appropriate size and condition i.e. holes taper inwards so difficult to gauge size and there is some debris in the holes
2) Floor vent indoors should not just be in contact with the free space under the house, it should actually be connected by pipe (ducted?) direct to the outdoor vent because (a) it is a midterraced property so other houses may use the same vents for free air and (b) because of the age of the house there could be a blockage under the house that is stopping the free circulation of the air.

I have spoken to my Landlord and he is refusing to believe the above. I also had some really nice plumbers out today who were a bit dubious about the situation as well and wanted to make calls before they decided if the appliance is really at risk or just NCS.

Can anyone clarify if this set up sounds AR? I'm paying a lot of rent to this guy and with a baby I really want to have clarification before turning the heating back on.

Thanks in advance.

Janice

Hi Janice and :welcome: to the forum!

Truth ....... ! It is your Landlords responsibility to make sure you are safe! ...... Reality is the appliance is 15yrs+ and I'm assuming no one has died of carbonmonoxide poisoning yet? Without having 1st hand knowledge its not one to call to be honest!

BG err on the side of legalities! So are right if they've proven you have less than 90% of the required appliance ventilation! That's our rules! 100cm is a lot of boiler though IMHO!

Thanks for your quick response Diamondgas :)

Assuming that the outside vents mean that there is less than 90% of the required appliance ventilation, would it be possible for the LL to replace these with more suitable vents? If so, is the situation about ducting true? Would the vents have to be joined by pipe because of the characteristics of the property, i.e. old and mid-terraced? Or is it sufficient to have the floor vent only accessing the air under the house?

Sorry, I'm just trying to get my head around this with a newborn in the house :)

Ducting is, I believe, a 'have to have' under floor unfortunately! The guy is really covering his backside unfortunately! BUT as I'm not testing your appliance I couldn't call it! At the end of the day you, as the responsible person, must decide whether you are willing to turn your boiler back on as is or get on to your Landlord to make your installation safe! I'll emphasise that it is your Landlord who is responsible for your safety! Let them take the grief IMO!

regards having a newborn or a grandparent in the home doesn't make much difference to be honest. 24hr tesco's sell fan heaters! That isn't meant as an insult just a fact, if you're concerned about your child's welfare then alternative forms of heat are available :) That sounds so condescending! i hope you don't take it that way :) It can be frustrating when something you've lived with without any problems all of a sudden is no longer there for you :)

ducting to out side air makes sense,i had some thing similar and was under the impression the ventilation path is clear and connecting vent is sized accordingly

Not worth messing around with borderline sub floor ventilation! If I were your landlord I would fit a new Stadium Black hole ventilator and CO alarm for safe measure.No brainer with a baby in the house.

Thanks guys. Diamondgas - of course not, I am just so grateful for the advice.

Tbh, I've only just moved into the house and hate it as it's been one thing after another with it.

I found a gas inspection report from Scottish Gas that is dated 3 weeks before I moved in deeming the boiler to be at risk due to ventilation and the LL went ahead with the rental anyway.

The guys out today seemed to think that as the boiler had been functioning for the last 15 years then it would not be required to be ducted to the outside vents - it was sufficient enough to have access to the air under the house provided the outside vents were of the appropriate size.

Hmm. I'm thinking I def need to go get a 3rd opinion myself as the LL is refusing to discuss!

Hey MAG .. end of the day if i turned up to a house with the correct sized ventilation grille fitted to the floor it would still be Not To Current Standards because standards require it to be ducted! I can not change the size of your vent without ducting it, as standards request! However homes with the correct size ventilation using 'underfloor' are safe to leave on but do not adhere to todays regulations! Your landlord however is not taking on board to their responsibilities IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so the plot thickens! The LL has informed me that the vent in the living room was only fitted in September last year so by fitting this without ducting was not meeting current standards?

Sorry, if I'm being dozy here. If the outside vents are to be replaced with those of a suitable size would they then need to be ducted also?

Thanks a million :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help appreciated for back boiler ventilation problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back