Search the forum,

Discuss Heatrae Sadia Megaflo pressure drop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Synec

Excessive pressure drop in Megaflo UV Mark 1 2002

My first posting on this website and I apologise for it being a long one:

A domestic hot water set up first installed in June 2002. It has given us nothing but headaches for 10 out of the last 12 years. At first it was the usual thing – constant dripping from overflow – along with a leaking tundish. Then the immersion heater coil failed after the second night of use. A lot of problems were apparently caused by excessive mains water pressure – particularly bad when over 10 bar but it has settled down to about 8-8.5 bar now. Don’t take my word for it, the measurements come from Essex Water – taken at the garden tap.

Anyway, we contacted a recommended and diligent plumber (UV/G3 ticketed with plenty of Heatrae Sadia experience) who renewed and rectified the slightly non-standard aspects of the original installation – but these seemed not to be major issues. The following were replaced:

• Coldwater combination valve
  • 3 Bar PRV cartridge and housing
  • CW pressure relief valve
  • HW temperature and pressure relief valve
  • Immersion heater coil

In addition, he did some cleaning out of the cylinder via the heater port.
He also provided some enhancements that he thought might assist in future fault finding/ solving, these included:

• Twin tundishes, one from CW PRV and the other from T&PRV – commoned at low level into a single 22mm to waste.
  • Twin pressure gauges, one to MCW inlet to Megaflo after the Combination Cold water valve and 3 bar PRV
  • A capped off branch teed from the MCW via an isolating valve to allow later installation of an external pressure vessel in case the Megaflo bubble system ceased to work reliably.

In addition the whole house (except the MCW to the kitchen sink) is supplied via an Altecnic 535 22mm static/ dynamic pressure regulating valve set at 3 bar to help balance the supplies to bathroom fittings (basin mixer, shower mixer and bath mixer with handspray) and DHW to the kitchen sink.
Everything has worked very well without fault (18 months) until recently when we have noted poor or variable hot water pressure on all fittings.
I have partially dismantled, cleaned and refitted the Altecnic PRV and the Megaflo 3 bar PRV cartridges and reformed the bubble in the Megaflo. A slight improvement has been noted but essentially the same problem remains; water pressure is good to start with for about a minute or so until it tails off into a dribble from the shower head or bath tap. It also pulses slightly.
When all fittings are closed the incoming MCW pressure is noted at 2.8 bar, as is the HW pressure at the top of the cylinder. When a fitting is opened the incoming MCW pressure stays rock steady at 2.8 bar. The HW pressure slowly drops to less than ¼ of a bar and both flow and pressure reduces at any fitting that is open – including the kitchen sink downstairs. When it is closed again the HW outlet pressure rises very slowly back to 2.8 bar – takes about 3-4 minutes.
I will try to contact the plumber who carried out the work in 2012, but before I bother him (he was close to retirement then) I’d like to see if anyone on the forum has had similar problems and resolved them straightforwardly. Logic suggests the 3 bar PRV cartridge is at fault but it is less than 2 years old and does not see hard service as the upstream pressure is regulated to suit.

Given that it is an unvented installation I am limited in what I can do with it as a householder (I have probably gone further than I should with the 3 bar PRV) so am keen for advice on which direction to head next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heatrae Sadia Megaflo pressure drop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock