Search the forum,

Discuss Heating Controller override in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi hope someone can help me, it’s a bit of a long story so sorry in advance.

Around 10 months ago we had a power cut and when the power was restored, we got a bit of a surge. Didn’t realise that it had impacted on our central heating until we woke up in the middle of the night with the water and heating going full blast and the controller showing no on lights. Only way to turn it off was to turn it off at the mains.

I call Dryton who said this could happen due to the micro switch being damaged in the surge. They said take the controller off give it a bang and see if that helps the micro switch.

All fine for a few weeks and it happened again, seemed to happen after we had used the advance switch. Next step was to replace the controller, bought another Drayton (LP522) and within a week it had happened again. Phoned Drayton who said it must be the actuator, change it. I called my regular plumber who said can’t be that as the actuator wasn’t powered so can’t override anything! He said he had come across a similar problem and to change the controller to a different make, that sorted it before. So I changed the controller to a Honeywell (ST9400C). All has been good for 6 weeks and then last night even though the heating and hot water timings had gone off, the hot water was getting hotter and he radiators were piping hot, no lights on the controller and the thermostat was not working as no power to it. Only way to stop was again to turn off at the mains.

Anyone come across something like this before, if so what was the solution.

Any help much appreciated, Happy New Year

Tony P

Happy new year too Tony.

Ok, so the motorised valve will have a microswitch inside. I don’t know why your plumber said it isn’t powered, as they have a permanent live feed. I take it you have a Y plan? (3 port mid position valve).

Thanks for getting back. Yes I have, I can remove the actuator from the actual pipework by just pushing a clip at the back.
Hi, Hi, just taken actuator off and it has a small plastic leaver on the side and another on the back marked W M H, with hot water & heating controller both set to off I couldn't move either leaver/switch, so not sure how to do manually. Cheers

Attachments

• Heat Actu 1.jpg
    Heat Actu 1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Heat Actu 2.jpg
    Heat Actu 2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 7

Reply to Heating Controller override in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock