Discuss hanging new boiler on plasterboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gascat

Hello chaps anyone know is plasterboard considered a non combustible material? fitted a fair few boilers but never had to put one on a stud wall before. I am presuming studs/sheet of ply/plasterboard is an acceptable wall to fix on? does it need to be the pink /fireboard? not flueing through the stud its going sideways .
New here by the way HELLO everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
sheet of ply and ellis board plaster board is considered combustible

Std plasterboard (gyproc) is 30 minutes fire rated. The pink stuff is 1hr i think.
You can hang a boiler on std plasterboard. (unplastered)

Not too clued up on this but i believe plasterboard in general has a certain degree of fire-resistance due to its material make up, but only if it can be confirmed which manufacturer made it, can you be sure how fire resistant it may be. British Gypsum who make our well known Gyproc has a fire resistance of 30mins on its standard board.
So technically any board made with Gypsum is fire resistant.

if its a condensing boiler mans. will tell you it can fitted on anything as boiler does not get as hot as the earlier generation boilers

Last edited by a moderator:
Plasterboard is used as a firebreak as already stated. You can use pink and double the fire rating. I have used it double skin on celings as a firebreak before so a single sheet over anything combustible should be fine

if its a condensing boiler mans. will tell you it can fitted on anything as boiler does not get as hot as the earlier generation boilers

WB 28i junior MFI's says must be fitted on non combustible surface

If plasterboard were to be classed as combustible there must be 1 million or more boilers at risk.
Think about it. Just about every house built since the 90's (before that in Scotland with kits becoming popular since the late 70's) has plasterboard (drylined) walls.

Fitting condensing boilers on plasterboard is ok, doe it hundreds of times.

Some MIs state that it can be hung anywhere, i think glowworm is agood example of this.
Saying that i have hung WB on plasterboard also, although it does state tin WB Mis not to hang on combustible material.

I work for a large national company who has influence over WB, we have queried a few things in their MIs which are radically different from other manufactures.

They normally got back to us saying that 'yeah we'll change that in our next MI re-print, just old instructions'

Goes to show that not everything in black and white is true!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hanging new boiler on plasterboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock