Search the forum,

Discuss hall of Shame Photos in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just spent the most enjoyable 2 hours this afternoon. I have never laughed so much for ages looking at the photos. I have got as far as Page 80 and intend to go to the end; it is going to be hilarious. There seems to be Competent plumbers like members on this forum,cowboys,Diy`s and frankly people with no brains!! Cannot get my head around some of the jobs people do.

As mentioned on my previous posts I only have 2 joints to do which I was not sure about ,3/4 to 22mm. Had some good advice and decided the best way to go is to solder the joints. Not done soldering since the boar war so decided I was going to practice & practice till I got it right.
Purchased 25 solder free 22mm straight connectors some new laco flux and some Mapp gas. 1[SUP]st[/SUP] efforts were poor but gradually got the temp right and my efforts so far are below. I also had loads of old solder ring 15mm connectors so practiced with those as well and they also turned out ok, to me at least ,but feel free to criticise got no problem with that. I will still keep on practising till all the connectors are gone.
Maybe a bit too much solder but I pressure tested them with no leaks!!

There is now way I could stand to do a job like some of the photos I have seen, besides her indoors will kill me. To date like the toilet with low level flush about 7 feet in the air. The radiator plumbed in on the stairs. Leaking water joint above electrics mended with a toilet roll and the dozens of spaghetti junction copper & plastic piping ,just too many to mention.
I know I have asked a few questions about certain things and had some excellent advice. If I get stuck or need advice I know I can ask and get a lot of help, oh yes forgot photos of flexies bent almost in half and custies wondering why water flow is not so great ,ha ha.

Attachments

• solder joints 2.jpg
    solder joints 2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 138
your soldering would be welcome on any job I did, very good :clap::clap:

They look okay, - frankly better looking than most of the mess out there done by plumbers.
But it would be a good test to gently heat them and pull the fittings off the pipes to see how well soldered they actually are. You can also reuse the fittings again by doing the reverse and then resoldering them. Although on "used" solder ring fittings it is best to not solder vertical joints as the solder will not pass the space ring.
I wouldn't use Mapp gas and I reckon it makes beginners overheat fittings. Just my opinion. Propane gas is more than powerful enough and those are small fittings.

Last edited:
Looks like some good soldering there, as above I use propane much better than map for smaller fittings although theirs nothing wrong With using map

That soldering is infinitely better than the soldering I did on a job last week, just had to move a shower supply to the other side for the new shower.
Got my soldering stuff out and the customer stopped me and said the fumes would choke their baby who had a breathing issue, so went outside to do it.
In the dark, wind and rain in their coal shed doorway and part way through one of the elbows slipped mid solder. I managed it like the hero I am but by god it was a snotty mess ;)

Oh and I use Mapp-Pro but would definitely say propane is easier due to the cooler flame, I messed with my nozzle a few weeks ago and still tend to black the joints up a bit with this gas.

Thanks for all your advice & encouragement,I did not upload the joint that were c--p:smug2:
Best° That is a good idea to pull fittings off pipes to check how how well they are soldered.
JcPlumb I can mig weld (to a degree) but trying to weld outside in wind & rain for me is a no go.
If I tried what you did and I suspect a lot of plumbers are trying to solder in less than perfect conditions I will fail miserably,just goes to show the degree of experience & skill you all have.

I will go back to trying propane. I think watching youtube vids (plumberparts) it says have the gas low but not until later I realized he was using mapp gas. Me being green was using propane but had the propane turned down really low!! Wondered why it took so long to heat up:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hall of Shame Photos in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I hope you are doing well. I have this 3.25mm lead-free grade 99c solder wire. I know that the good practice to bend the wire before soldering so you know exactly how much it is absorbed by the flux. I know too little isn't good and too much is as bad. I need to connect two 15mm pipes...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, keen DIYer here. Installing an outside tap and have tried soldering the joints leading from the 15mm copper pipe to the mains pipe. My question is a bit random but as I was soldering, the copper pipe going through the wall obviously got very hot, and got me thinking, could the heat...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Hi, My Blanco Kitchen Tap Model Swift BM1420 is leaking. Please see attached photos for details of where water leaks from. What I've done so far. I replaced the cartridge. Leak persisted. Bought some replacement seals and tried to put in place of the old ones. Here's what I did next. Remove...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock