Search the forum,

Discuss Gas training with Able Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Ok, so I still have £2,000 left over from leaving the military to spend on further training that is at NVQ level 3 or equivalent. One of the things I can use this for is Gas Training. Able Skills in Nottingham is close to me and they are charging £2750 inc. VAT for their 15 day course to learn the basics, portfolio building with their sister company and then the ACS exams.

I'm not really interested in building a portfolio with them to be honest, I would much rather source my own work, pay the gas fitter I use 100% and I keep the customer base growing. It means I'm not taking time off from my business while I build my portfolio and he will be getting extra money for hopefully very little hands on work so it should be win win.

The course will end up costing me £291.67p once the VAT comes off and with my training money. My question is, does anyone have any good or bad experiences with Able Skills? I know that fast track isn't the best way to get into the industry but for someone who is 34 with financial commitments leaving all that to drop back to an apprentice job isn't an option.

It's an easy ride. If your competent it's just a means if getting paperwork. Just make sure you do lots of additional reading up.

No problem with reading up to be honest, I love learning new things. I still have to phone the gas fitter tomorrow and offer the suggestion to him. I have a couple of potential gas jobs already lined up I could pass his way. He is in year 1 of starting his business so I am sure he could do with the extra cash tbh.

If he's happy to go with it then I will book onto the course fairly soon, as fast track courses go it's not too expensive, especially with my £2k from the military.

What is the actual portfolio requirement by the way. I've seen 6 weeks, 240 days and various other requirements batted about.

Keiran you're a cut above the rest.
Providing you do it and stick to regs and are safe then all is well.
you're already electricly competent so appliance wise you should get upto speed pretty quick.

plus you can always ask us!!

go for it.
you'll probably still need to use the sister company for things like gas fires.

Cheers mate. I don't think I'm a cut above anyone though tbh! We are all human.

I don't want to make a **** of myself with the gas fitter tomorrow when I call him so do you think my offer is a fair one? He is local to me so he may be worried that in the longer term he will stop getting work from me and I will be taking potential jobs from him.

Cheers mate. I don't think I'm a cut above anyone though tbh! We are all human.

I don't want to make a **** of myself with the gas fitter tomorrow when I call him so do you think my offer is a fair one? He is local to me so he may be worried that in the longer term he will stop getting work from me and I will be taking potential jobs from him.

Short amount of time you have learned plumbing and electrics :)
fitting gas appliances isn't too far on from that, fault finding them is another matter :)
plus you have the sense to ask for advice :)

point out you will still need him, maybe even more after a while if you are getting the additional recommendations for gas work.

Your portfolio can be done in. 14 weeks. You need servicing and repairs and some un safe situations.? Photograph everything and keep a diary...... When your writing up and reAlise u need x then your home and dry. Also set goals. Which tasks you want from what jobs..

Keiran,
If you are going to do your portfolio with your own guy, then why pay able skills that price, when they are charging you for the portfolio building, with their sister company.
For example our local acs will charge you £995 plus vat for the initial training, then the same if not slightly less for the exam,s, once portfolio has been done.
So you could save yourself around £800, in effect not costing you a penny!

Cheers linky. I am looking at a couple of more local places. There is one called Gasgain that is just 20 miles from me. As you say, I am only after 10 days of training with them on their course. I am in no huge rush to build my portfolio, would prefer to do it slowly as work comes in through my business.

Waiting to hear back from them on prices. There seems to be a huge variance on prices I have seen so far, from the £2000 plus VAT you've mentioned to over £6k which just seems like a giant rip off tbh.

Also, does anyone have any blank gas safe portfolio sheets? I can't find any at all and am keen to start booking jobs in with my gas fitter to build up my experience. Have one cooker install quote to go and price up to be honest already.

The sheets are different for each place, some you have to do by hand and the handouts are awful photo copies.

Also, does anyone have any blank gas safe portfolio sheets? I can't find any at all and am keen to start booking jobs in with my gas fitter to build up my experience. Have one cooker install quote to go and price up to be honest already.

PM me your email address Kieran. I'll send you the template I used, which I designed myself. The test centre asked if they could use it for their candidates.

I don't know what Able Skills in Nottingham are like, but I did my ACS with Able Skills in Dartford, and found them to be excellent.

I'm going to my local college in Sept to start a level 3 gas course. It's £2k. 2 nights a week for a college year. It sounds what I want, no rushing etc. Good luck. Rct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas training with Able Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock