Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Gas Safe Certficate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RobbieP14383

I recently had a brand new boiler fitted by a GSR'd engineer. I am a land lord and I was not there when the boiler was installed. I am having a lot hassle trying to get my gas safe certificate for my records as its the law to have one.

Where do I stand and what can I do to resolve this?

Thanks

Additional:
I have emailed, text and called the engineer but he always says yeah I promise tomorrow I will email you a scanned copy etc etc. This never happens

Last edited by a moderator:
The installer is obliged to notify Local Authority Building Control, pay a couple of quid to them, and they will send you a certificate in the post. I notify all of my boilers immediately, and the customer usually gets the certificate that week. I suggest you ring the engineer and politely tell him if you dont have your certificate within the next week or two, you will be chasing up the certificate yourself, and ringing Gas Safe. Im sure he will then change his tune.

dont need one for the first year, benchmark will cover regs

dont need one for the first year, benchmark will cover regs

I think you are refering to Land lord gas safety record.

This Landlord is looking for the building regulations certificate which GSR will issue under self certification scheme (Competent person scheme).

call gas safe they will instantly tell you if the boiler is registered - you only have so long to register cant remember how long

ive done some almost a year after install and it was fine.

if the op is after a gas safety certificate then you should not have handed over the dosh till you got the paperwork you wanted tbh.

Tell the engineer your asking gas safe for a free inspection of his work and he will probably buck his ideas up.

I often wonder who is responsible for getting building control to issue a certificate of compliance with building regs. After all it is actually the owner of the property who has to inform building control of changes etc, not the installer or builder. So if you as a boiler installer dont offer this as part of your installation, who says you have to issue a self certification ticket, my reasoning is if the customer wants a certificate, they should pay for me to issue one and I include a charge in all my quotes/estimates. I fill in the benchmark paperwork as req by the manufacturers, but why do I need to give up more time complying with building regs for free if it isnt my responsibility?

As regards the post I think he wants a land lord safety ticket and I understand an appliance does not require one in its first year if all the benchmark paperwork has been completed correctly.

Comments welcome

it cost a few squid and take about 5 mins, no problem in my eyes to do it just add the charge to your quote. Leave a customer chasing something could make you look bad and lose future work.

As for gas cert, fill one out when you benchmark/commission it take a few mins and customer is happy.

I often wonder who is responsible for getting building control to issue a certificate of compliance with building regs. After all it is actually the owner of the property who has to inform building control of changes etc, not the installer or builder. So if you as a boiler installer dont offer this as part of your installation, who says you have to issue a self certification ticket, my reasoning is if the customer wants a certificate, they should pay for me to issue one and I include a charge in all my quotes/estimates. I fill in the benchmark paperwork as req by the manufacturers, but why do I need to give up more time complying with building regs for free if it isnt my responsibility?

As regards the post I think he wants a land lord safety ticket and I understand an appliance does not require one in its first year if all the benchmark paperwork has been completed correctly.

Comments welcome

not benchmark the cert issued by gas safe covers the boiler for a year.boiler must be registered

Why would anyone want to leave their valued customers with boiler installs which do not have building regulations compliance certificate? If I were the customer I would be none to happy with the installer. Especially when it only takes a couple of quid / minutes to get the notice completed.

Experienced it recently buying property, requested the compliance certificates (Boiler, Elecrical consumer unit, Drainage) they had nothing. They went back to the builder/ plumber / electrician and there were big disagreements. In the end the vendor had to fork out for a large indemnity insurance to cover the work, before the sale could complete.

Last edited:
only posed the question as one or two customers moan at paying for building regs certification, building regs them selves charge over £70 round here to certify boilers etc so why do we do it for free, it takes your time, several notes to complete so you need to be reimbursed why else do we work other than to gain money. I find £35 not unreasonable to show as a charge on my quotes seems daft not to omho.

Should cover his bottom by giving a certificate. As a just in-case to cover everyone including himself,better to give one with install.

hes entitled to one is he not????

NO as its the householders responsibility to get one as the home owner, after all if he builds an extension with kichen and boiler in it, the bc officer issues a ticket for all works if they feel its done correctly and to spec, and the householder has to pay for the buildings controls inspections etc. Not saying i dont self certify, but why do it for free?

only posed the question as one or two customers moan at paying for building regs certification, building regs them selves charge over £70 round here to certify boilers etc so why do we do it for free, it takes your time, several notes to complete so you need to be reimbursed why else do we work other than to gain money. I find £35 not unreasonable to show as a charge on my quotes seems daft not to omho.
do you register the boilers with gas safe then ? thought it was mandatry to notify work and if you do they get the cert.how can gas safe keep a record if they are not registered with them

if I am charging the customers a fee to carry out a self certified notice what do you conclude from that? However if no fee you can draw another conclusion and it becomes the customers responsibiltiy under current building regulations

if I am charging the customers a fee to carry out a self certified notice what do you conclude from that? However if no fee you can draw another conclusion and it becomes the customers responsibiltiy under current building regulations
never looked into it is that correct i honestly thought every boiler had to be registered with gas safe legaly.otherwise the install is no better than one a saturday plumber does in his own time without a gas safe reg of his own. anyone any views.(regs man)

I know of quite a few down this way who never self certify gas installs, right or wrong ? If they complete the benchmark custards are happy as this is what the solicitors are asking to see down here at present as they dont seem to have realised buildings control/gas safe produce their own certificate for boiler installations. Its a bit of a mute point after all an oil boiler can be installed by anyone (i hate saying this) but have to be commisioned by a registered installer (oftec or otherwise) who can self certify or the customer can report the installation to bc for them to pass and certify.

i cant see the argument, you charge the customer for your service/time. Why bother discussing it with the customer, do it and take it into account when working out the quote. Most customers wont fully understand what it is and what its for, your the professional who they take advise from and are paying to do the work.

I know of quite a few down this way who never self certify gas installs, right or wrong ? If they complete the benchmark custards are happy as this is what the solicitors are asking to see down here at present as they dont seem to have realised buildings control/gas safe produce their own certificate for boiler installations. Its a bit of a mute point after all an oil boiler can be installed by anyone (i hate saying this) but have to be commisioned by a registered installer (oftec or otherwise) who can self certify or the customer can report the installation to bc for them to pass and certify.

i understand where you are coming from gas safe should give the option just to notify appliance to them so or work is tracable and not to building control but if its not registered with gas safe we in effect are no better than the illegal fitters as our work is not tracable - know we could fill in bench mark but any one could use our details from the gas safe site to do this.

i understand where you are coming from gas safe should give the option just to notify appliance to them so or work is tracable and not to building control but if its not registered with gas safe we in effect are no better than the illegal fitters as our work is not tracable - know we could fill in bench mark but any one could use our details from the gas safe site to do this.

somebody correct me if Im wrong, but when you self certify a boiler or gas works, what you are doing is completing a self assessment buildings control certificate that gas safe then pass on to the custard and you local buildings control. What they then do with their own part of the records is ?? to my knowledge. So basically your doig something that buildings control will do for the owner but at a stupidly high price and pay a gsr to carry out on their behalf

never looked into it is that correct i honestly thought every boiler had to be registered with gas safe legaly.otherwise the install is no better than one a saturday plumber does in his own time without a gas safe reg of his own. anyone any views.(regs man)

Registering your work is more of a condtion of membership to GSR. The home owner has ultimate responibility to get building regulations on the work. But that why they get GSR members in to do the work, because they know you will self certificate for building regulations. Personaly I don't think it unreasonable to have a nominal charge for registering your work, after all its your time and effort to get it completed.

somebody correct me if Im wrong, but when you self certify a boiler or gas works, what you are doing is completing a self assessment buildings control certificate that gas safe then pass on to the custard and you local buildings control. What they then do with their own part of the records is ?? to my knowledge. So basically your doig something that buildings control will do for the owner but at a stupidly high price and pay a gsr to carry out on their behalf

Thats about right.

spoke to gas safe on this - there is no problem for the customer to get building regs to certify the boiler but they say this must be agreed prior to the install as the boiler has to be registered one way or the other .i agree now why not charge a fee as if the council do it it will be £100 or more .those not registering their own work though what have they got to hide ? as said above thats what they get us in for .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Safe Certficate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a...
Replies
Views
The self-certification certificate states that "....the work was carried out in accordance with Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, as...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
Just browsing the threads and this one here // www .plumbersforums. net /threads /bldg-regs-compliance-interlock.103043/ caught my eye. 1. If a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock