Discuss gas pipes underfloor boards damaged in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ELSTON

I have builders just start lifting my wood floors and they are saying they found a nail had been put through on of the gas pipes. Can this be true that I have been living in a flat for 9 years with a nail through a gas pipe. Would be handy to get any advice on whether this builder is just trying to inflate cost or if this is legit. thanks

ask him to take a picture of it. then arrange a gas safe engineer yourself to repair the pipe.

it is possible that a nailed pipe has been there for along time. I have seen nails hold water mains pressure untill disturbed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I just got a text from him saying that he already contacted gas board and he will have to get it sorted. but sounds like as you say they just dislodged it while taking up floors.

the gas board wont sort it, just make safe the gas at the meter. you or the builder will still need to get a Gas Safe engineer to fix the hole. if its easily accessable it would probably be an hours labour and £5 in materials at a guess.

Don't let the builder fob you off with that one.
He is trying to take you for a sucker. Leaks on your side of the
meter have nothing to do with the 'gas board',

Get a Gassafe installer in.

its very possible this is the truth builder obviously isnt lifting boards he doesnt have to and the nail isnt one he put in if he is at the lifting stage but you do need gas safe engineer to fix it

Same as AW have seen pipes nail'd stright through been like it for years, so i'd say it's not the builders fault, after all he is lifting the boards , not putting them down !

Well, the builders just went ahead and did the work to reroute damaged gas pipe. they are now quoting an extra £800 for the new gas supply, sheeting wall and plastering wall. But with this and boarding and plaster I think 800 is a bit excessive. Any advice please. The plasterer will be in doing other walls in the house, this additional wall is about 25 foot length and maybe about 7 foot high.

It's hard to say whether he's ripping you off, or re-routing the gas because it had to be done. As said before, repairing the pipe and leaving it where it was would have been fairly simple/cheap. Don't see what the plastering has to do with it.

It sounds like you're not exactly on the ball with what's going on, in which case, if you do have a dodgy builder, he'll try take you for a ride. Most builders I've ever come across are a-holes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1. Did the gas pipe only run under the floor ?
2. What has boarding & plastering the wall got to do with the gas pipe.?
3. Did he use a Gas Safe engineer to move the gas pipe.?
4. Repair to damaged gas pipe around £60.00, where do's the other £740.00 come from ?
Ask him for a brake down of costs !!

it could have been that it was a steel pipe which could not be repaired, it could have been that on inspection the gas carcus was damaged or leaking in other locations and further work was needed to make safe? unfortunately your builder seems to think that its ok to go ahead with extra works without your consultation or your viewing the job first??

If you are having alot of work done then you need to keep on top of the work, you need to tell your builder what you want to know before any extra work is carried out. If he carries out extra work without your prior consent then tell him you will not cover the cost. nobody on an internet forum can honestly tell you if your being ripped off or not and it would be harsh for us to judge your builder without enough knowledge to do so.

request a copy of a gas certificate from the Gas Safe engineer that did the work and a detailed reciept listing work done and hours.

DO NOT accept any additional costs !! If he went ahead with this extra work without getting confirmation that you will accept the additional costs that there problem (you can't quote a for a work after it has been completed) Be strong and stand your ground, they may well have done additional work but unless they tell you before hand how do you know what is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas pipes underfloor boards damaged in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Back