Search the forum,

Discuss Gas or Electric to heat water in a flat in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I have a two bedroomed flat that I rent which I am going to completely renovate. I have pretty much decided on electric radiators but not sure how to heat the water. Seems like instant water has problems with filling a bath and so will probably need a hot water cylinder. Should I be heating it with gas or electric? I can vent it up a flue if necessary. Thinking a bit about the future of gas v electric and phasing out of gas.
Also what type of cylinder?
Thank you.

Gas isn't being phased out.
Natural gas is, but Nat Gas / Hydrogen mix will be gradually taking over, eventually leading to all Hydrogen gas, unless some other gas comes along in the meantime.

And to run the heating.

Can I ask why you’ve decided on electric heating?

I rented a place with electric heating, worst decision ever.
Thanks, why then is gas not permitted in new construction after 2025? On the electric radiators, i thought it easier than running pipes through walls and also thought with all the latest technology to control the radiators they would be a good choice especially with the rising price of gas. It is very confusing.

Thanks, why then is gas not permitted in new construction after 2025?
To cut down on the total amount of Nat Gas being used untill another solution is found.

Once gas is no longer originates from fossil fuel and the replacement is found to do no harm to the environment then gas will be allowed back in domestic properties or will be used in district heating schemes for Domestic.

It costs 3 to 4 times more to heat water using electricity….
Interesting if in the longer term they will tax the gas more to get us onto the electric, but until we build all those SMR . . .

Interesting despite edict from Kwasi on coal, there is none running this morning:

Probably a bit of work to do to get the coal up and running, especially with hardly any mines left.

We need to focus on diversity of workable supplies. Get drilling in the North Sea.

Those new estates on the edge of town next to greenfields could have ground source, and better insulation, but we build the same old houses. Building regs on insulation are about to change but seems like they forgot the ventilation . . .

Interesting if in the longer term they will tax the gas more to get us onto the electric, but until we build all those SMR . . .

Interesting despite edict from Kwasi on coal, there is none running this morning:

Probably a bit of work to do to get the coal up and running, especially with hardly any mines left.

We need to focus on diversity of workable supplies. Get drilling in the North Sea.

Those new estates on the edge of town next to greenfields could have ground source, and better insulation, but we build the same old houses. Building regs on insulation are about to change but seems like they forgot the ventilation . . .

the UK rarely burns coal for electrical generation these days.

the concern is that should they go out, restarting them isn’t easy

What type of flue ?

A modern condensing boiler installed correctly with 'true' weather comp controls and a well insulated house/flat is the cheapest way to run it (and most environmentally friendly in my opinion).
Combi boilers are good enough if they suit your requirements. If you go for a cylinder, don't over size it.

Reply to Gas or Electric to heat water in a flat in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock