Discuss Gas fire - pilot light problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

izzy83

hi everyone, I have got a gas fire for repair (valor heartbeat - radiant/convecter ) very soon, the problem is it sometimes the pilot doesn't light or it takes while then lights but sparking is ok. any ideas?

Take a voltage reading of the thermocouple, it will be in mV

Or just replace it. That would be my first port of call

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surely a faulty thermocouple would result in the pilot not staying lit rather than not lighting? when i'm struggling to light a pilot i'm looking at poor/weak spark (identified by easily lighting pilot with a match) or partial blockage in pilot tube (identified by small pilot light usually causing thermocouple not to be heated properly and not staying in)

Can't picture the fire in my mind although if it has a safety device i.e thermocouple it might need replaced. If you have the fire checked once a year usually you can pick up on when it needs replaced. If you have not had it serviced in years it could be down to dirt.....hope that helps you.....cheers

I think these have a little sensor in the top left hand side at the rear which gets a build up of fluff/cat/dog/hair and then wont let the fire light, clean it and it should be ok. you have to remove the fire.

The older version is just a thremocouple and igniter, but the newer version has an oxypilot with air tube set-up IIRC. It is probably the the newer versions oxypilot that is to blame. Strip it out and clean the oxy assembly thouroughly.

:iagree: as said, if it ain't lighting you've got to know the gas mixture is correct or the spark is hitting the right place ... strip it, clean it, then see how it goes? You also need a 'hot' enough spark so if the peizo is on it's way out you may consider replacing that too! imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas fire - pilot light problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a portable gas fire which keeps switching off. The pilot light lifts for 10 seconds, critically above the thermocouple and then the gas...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, My customer has a gas fire (Gazco Logic HE fire, about 10 years old). It's a slide control fire. The fire has become difficult to...
Replies
Views
I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, Got a problem with a Baxi Solo 3 PFL50 The "pilot on" light is on permanently It was intermittent, but is now permanent When this...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
    • Optimistic
Hi, I've got a ferroli 901 boiler, I initially thought the pcb was at fault so bought a new one and I'm having the same problem ( has been...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock