Search the forum,

Discuss Gas course portfolio? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all, just a quick question. If I do a gas course that entails a portfolio can my gas safe colleague sign the work that I do? As I work on the gas with him mostly.

Who else is gonna sign it, the postman?[emoji38]

Check with the training provider about your portfolio. Depending on your experience some centres are waiving the obligation to fill a portfolio with a letter from your mentor. At least thats what I was told

I have heard that about the portfolio to be fair but the centre I went to didn't mention it. In regards to who's signing it off it could be my boss or colleagues.

The person who physically stand behind you watching you doing the work properly is the only person who can sign that specific sheet

No offence taken lol. As long as I know that it hasn't got to be the boss that's fine.

One more thing. When you first do your ACS and are Gas Safe registered are you not legally allowed to work on your own as an engineer?

One more thing. When you first do your ACS and are Gas Safe registered are you not legally allowed to work on your own as an engineer?

Who's giving you info? Once your qualified your qualified! Gas safe may come and see you during your first year..... They also may not!

Lol it's just something a colleague said today. He's gas safe registered but the boss has to be involved when commissioning. He's been gas safe for nearly 10 years.

Lol it's just something a colleague said today. He's gas safe registered but the boss has to be involved when commissioning. He's been gas safe for nearly 10 years.

Sounds like your boss doesn't trust him or he's not fully qualified . - I mean he hasn't got all the tickets he should have.

Hmmm interesting. So as an engineer if your names on it, it's your responsibility whether your working for a company or not? What's the deal if your company put you through it?

No offence macka but did you tie your own shoe laces this morning? :confused5:

Once you are qualified and registered you are allowed to work on appliances you hold the qualifications for during the working hours of the company that pays your registration ie private work technically is illegal if your boss says no. (You'd need your own registration)

most company's will put a clause in a contract when putting engineers through gas quals ie you'd need to provide 3 years service before leaving or pay up if you leave prior to the 3 years. Different gravy if you joined a company with 4 years worth of tickets then left 6 years later...

could you imagine if Chris Jansen had to accompany every installer at British gas during commissioning?

Haha. I'll explain briefly.
I work for a small heating and plumbing company. My boss agreed for me to go on a gas course to gain gas safe registration. I've fitted boilers and carry out other gas related duties. Unfortunately the boss doesn't wanna pay me any more so keeps stalling on the course. I am paying for it myself and I don't expect payment for time spent at the course. My colleague thinks the boss is taking the piddle and has offered to sign my work off on the portfolio.

When I did my portfolio many years ago my boss at the time didn't want me to have it as he knew I'd leave seeing as he was paying everyone peanuts. Any way I booked a week of work and stood in plumbers merchants asking if people would sign of my portfolio in exchange for free labor made some good friends I still speak to now and learnt a few bits from different people but the moral is it doesn't matter who signs it so long as they are a gas registered engineer

Thank you. Very similar to what I'm going through at the moment. The first thing my boss said when I asked if he'd help me through it was, " you can't come back demanding more wages". I've worked for him for a year on ÂŁ48 a day.

I was a plumber in my own right at the time. As in experienced and and working as a time served plumber. It wasn't about the wages so much as I HATE bathrooms, just remember you still have a looong road ahead of you before you'll get decent money any wear people want experience and knowledge a swell as qualifications gas wise your not considered time served till you renew your acs at which point you should have significant experience

No I completely agree. Although I do feel when your able to first and second fix a bathroom installation on your own, you deserve a little more than ÂŁ48 a day.

The whole system is a nonsense anyway it is more about money than safety !
Take the caravan industry they can sign off gas with purely a competent persons ticket and anyone with half an ounce of a brain can pass that ?
It is like now all plumbers seem to call themselves engineers for some reason best known to themselves as an engineer is someone who has a degree and far superior qualifications to your average plumber surely ?

Thank you. Very similar to what I'm going through at the moment. The first thing my boss said when I asked if he'd help me through it was, " you can't come back demanding more wages". I've worked for him for a year on ÂŁ48 a day.

I think you should demand more wages before you go, I pay my labourer more than that an he only carries stuff, cleans up and help rip out,

The whole system is a nonsense anyway it is more about money than safety !
Take the caravan industry they can sign off gas with purely a competent persons ticket and anyone with half an ounce of a brain can pass that ?
It is like now all plumbers seem to call themselves engineers for some reason best known to themselves as an engineer is someone who has a degree and far superior qualifications to your average plumber surely ?

Not every plumbers top qualification is ACS, some it's an MEng or even a PhD in engineering

Then they have the right to use the name engineer then ?
Just seems to me these days in so many jobs the names have become a nonsense and actually far from helping they remove the value of professions and hard earned qualifications ?
It was always the case you had a structual engineer then a technician who did the drawings etc ,to then be checked by the professional ?

The wages get me down to be honest. I never worked for that when I left college at 18. As I've said in previous posts, I know every day is a learning curve as I'm still very new to field but to pay what he does is immoral. The fact my colleagues are talking about it now says a lot I think.

Money will not make you happy but I know what you mean !
Too many kids today are sent off to tin pot universities and will come out with a mickey mouse degree that just as well be in butt waxing for all the good it will do them .
When I did my qualifications we were told you could fail on this and that but in reality they pass everyone somehow or other as they are paid on results and to be honest half of those that passed I would not let them open a tin of paint let alone dip a brush in the pot .

My flat mates did following

Marine engineering BEng - now works in Brazil ÂŁ60 ish

Computing - teacher in Halifax 30 ish

Geography (3 hours a week absolute joke - works for university on ÂŁ75k)

Business management again joke - works for big auditor ÂŁ60k

Surprised your still mixing it with 'peasants' like them the wonga your making ermy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas course portfolio? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath the boiler is difficult with lots of obstacles, is it okay if I run soldered copper over / across the top of the boiler? It'll be about 4" off the top...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock