Search the forum,

Discuss fumes from boiler flue nauseating- please advise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trisha88

Hi

Hope someone can help!

The flat below me has a boiler flue near to my living room window. Sometimes I hear a very loud pumping/whirring type noise from the flat below and it coincides with the most awful acrid smell- similar to a motor bike revving it's engine- coming from the flue into my livingroom. The smell is so strong it makes no difference if the window is shut.

The flat is let and the previous tenant said that the boiler was rarely checked in 5 years. The landlord is very unreasonable and difficult. :(

Can anyone tell me if these fumes are harmful?

I should point out this is not the normal condensation/steam which comes from the flue. I see that daily & it's odourless & I assume it's linked to the hot water being used in the flat. These pungent nauseating fumes only occur when the noise from the flat's central heating/boiler (?) occurs...

I look forward to hearing from someone.
:juggle:

Hi Trisha and welcome. Any appliance that burns a fuel to produce heat emits fumes which are inherently dangerous. A regular servicing regime ensures that the most dangerous elements of these fumes are kept to a minimum. My first question would be how far from your window is the flue end? How well do you get on with the new tenant? I would begin a paper trail, get an ambient air check done in your premises, one of us may be local to you and could help with that, write to the landlord expressing your concerns, contact your local CAB. Landlords, whether they like it or not, have certain responsibilities which include the maintenance and upkeep of heating appliances.

And get yourself a good CO detector!

Hi.

Just to expand this problem started in 2007. I used a CO2 detector at the time and it was clear. I contacted the landlord several times and he was quite unpleasant about the situation. He wouldn't even confirm he had a gas safety certificate. (I run our residents association and sadly the directors have had numerous issues with him)
Shortly afterwards a new tenant arrived and the problem eased enormously. This tenant didn't use the system very much as he said it was too noisy.

I'm baffled as to why the flue smell problem only occurs when the noise is present- it must be linked? Also- the smell isn't contunal, it's only when the noise occurs which means it would be very difficult to analyse...

Suddenly got scary and yet very easily solved. Is the boiler likely to be gas rather than solid fuel or oil?

What distance is the flue from the window ? 300mm is general rule of thumb for minimum!!!

Regards analysing, it would be difficult to do if the appliance isn't yours! How well do you know the tenant? Maybe they could help out in assessing any potential danger?

Unless it's oil DG, in which case minimum distance is 600mm. But then Trisha mentioned gas so I'm now thinking of getting her to talk to her neighbour below and calling the carrier in.

Interesting that CO from oil can be less toxic than gas ...LOL .... Different bodies have differing rules mate! Just goes to show its all CARP unless someone snuffs it! IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno there. CO's CO. Just more unpleasant niffs with oil fumes, but you're right about the bow locks bit.

Hi again,

The previous tenant has just told me that the boiler wasn't serviced while he lived there (around 5 years) but there was a gas safety check done earlier this year.
The tenant had a CO tester too and it was clear, but was convinced there was something wrong with the boiler because of this intermittent noise.
We're pretty sure the original boiler installation (about 10 years ago) was done by a 'mate' of the landlords who was not Corgi/Gas safety.

I doubt it's Carbon monoxide...although i'm not an expert...however I am confused as to whether it's normal for me to smell exhaust type fumes?

The flue is half way between my kitchen and living room window. Definitely over 30cm

Trisha. Call 0800 111 999 That's the emergency line for the national grid. They will send someone out to you to check everything over and to make sure you and your neighbour are safe. It won't cost either of you a penny. Plus they can and will put pressure on the landlord if there is something wrong.

And it's free!

Then begin your paper trail. I'll make the assumption that the 'Directors' you refer to own the freehold and everyone else owns a lease. The director's in that case would and, imho, should have a vested interest in the health and well being of everyone in the building.

Can a mod shift this thread into the central heating forum please? It'll get a wider audience there. Ta muchly!

Hi again,

I doubt it's Carbon monoxide...although i'm not an expert...

I love that statement!

What is the point of asking a question on this forum regarding safety issues and then ignoring the answers.
Has anyone got the phone number for the publishers of the Darwin Awards?

Rented properties are supposed to have at minimum a safety check done annually on a boiler.

Are you sure the boiler is an oil boiler? Sounds more like gas to me.

Hi all

Many thanks for the replies

I just want to clarify a few things....

The old tenant below had a CO detector for years and it was clear.
I had one for years and it was clear. (a new one is on its way in the post)

The smell only happens maybe once every day or so and lasts for about 3-10 minutes when the noise starts up

What i'm trying to establish is if it's NORMAL for flue fumes to smell bad & what might they be? I wondered if they were harmful in the same way as perhaps car exhaust fumes are harmful. Could it be just down to lack of boiler servicing?
The reason I assumed they not CO was due to the fact that the detectors not detect anything.

The boiler is Gas..

I really appreciate the replies- I guess I'm hoping someone will either say:

1. I shouldn't smell anything at all from a flue....
or
2. Pungent smell is normal at times.

Either of these would be helpful

however no one seems to have said this yet....

In the meantime I will ring the no given and chat with them.....

1. Boiler fumes do not smell pungent

2. CO does not smell at all

3. Your last post was 40 odd mins ago so you have had plenty of time to contact the gas emergency services.
What did they say??

You mention a lot about CO detectors. How can you rely on these? You do realise they have a lifespan whereas if u get a qualified engineer out who knows what they are looking at can tell you and provide results on paper exactly if its dangerous or not inc. CO/CO2 levels.

Strongly advise you take the other members advice and call the number to get transco to come out and investigate!!!! 0800 111 999

If someone put me into a room full of CO, the only way I'd be able to confirm it's CO without an analyser would be if I woke up dead,, Oh hang on, Doh,, or is that D.O.A?

Hopefully the O.P is stuck in a queue to N-Grid, and not on a slab.

co2 alarms only work if a hi reading happens for 20min and is rising

Emailed landlord (again) but no reply.

Today I decided to report the matter to transco & I informed the tenants of their visit (as requested by transco.) The tenants told me he also has serious concerns about the boiler and had also reported it to the landlord.

Within minutes the landlord rang me and hurled verbal abuse & insults at me and said he was not letting engineers into his flat. Ten minutes later he shot onto the premises and jumped out of the car and is now in the car port downstairs awaiting Transco and glaring up at my window...!

perhaps now some of you are aware of why i was hesistant reporting this matter...

Your landlord is subject to laws and must comply for your safety. I'm sorry that you feel intimidated by him but his actions clearly prove that he has something to hide.

All he has to to is act responsibly and legally and everybody would be safe and happy. the last thing he wants is a dead tenant, several years in prison and a massive fine.

You have done the right thing, Bravo.
MM

"Your landlord is subject to laws"

Hi Mountainman-

I've just realized that you may have misread the thread. He's not my landlord. It's not my flat. I am a neighbour...I live in the flat above...

Update:

Transco did their emergency visit this morning.

I rang the freephone number back to inquire re: the result and they put through to local engineer- I was told since the boiler is not currently working the engineer could not assess for any gas leakage. I asked about the horrid fumes but they said their only responsibility is to ensure that the premises are safe, which they are.

They told me when they visited there was an EDF engineer present changing the meter (sheer coincidence) and that he had capped the outlet pipe...apparently the landlord has booked an engineer to repair the boiler later today

I told Transco I was concerned by the fact that previous tenants said the landlord used rather dubious 'mate' engineers and they told me to ring Gas safety for advice.

Gas safety advised me to tell the tenant that he should NOT allow an engineer to enter the premises today without a Gas safety ID number. I did this but the tenant wasn't too happy as he has a family and they have no hot water/heating & he just wants the boiler fixed....he admitted he wasn't that bothered about the gas safety issue.
I asked him to at least request the Gas safety engineers ID number for me so i could report back to Gas safety office.
I hope he does!

i did this but the tenant wasn't too happy as he has a family and they have no hot water/heating & he just wants the boiler fixed....he admitted he wasn't that bothered about the gas safety issue.
[/QUOTE]

Which is why people keep dying of co !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Your landlord is subject to laws"

Hi Mountainman-

I've just realized that you may have misread the thread. He's not my landlord. It's not my flat. I am a neighbour...I live in the flat above...

Apologies Trisha, I did indeed misread or misinterpret the thread.

Where to go from here??

It seems that you could be a victim of criminal negligence but none of the enforcement bodies are interested.

Hopefully one of the more legislatively informed members will be along soon.

I know what I'd do, but I couldn't recommend it to anyone else.

I rang Transco once, never again.

I thought i smelt some fumes, possibly from the boiler. I expected them to come along with a fume detector, but they had nothing. Also, the fumes had gone when they arrived.

They did NO INVESTIGATION AT ALL, just slapped a "do not use" notice on it and turned off the gas.

I had to have a GSR in, there was no problem whatsoever with the boiler. In fact, I later found that a tin of something in the garage had leaked and was the cause of the fumes, until the liquid had evaporated.

All Transo did was tell me that if I even thought I had smelt fumes, whether I was right or not, they just condemmed the boiler as a matter of course, without doing anything at all.

I rang Transco once, never again.

I thought i smelt some fumes, possibly from the boiler. I expected them to come along with a fume detector, but they had nothing. Also, the fumes had gone when they arrived.

They did NO INVESTIGATION AT ALL, just slapped a "do not use" notice on it and turned off the gas.

I had to have a GSR in, there was no problem whatsoever with the boiler. In fact, I later found that a tin of something in the garage had leaked and was the cause of the fumes, until the liquid had evaporated.

All Transo did was tell me that if I even thought I had smelt fumes, whether I was right or not, they just condemmed the boiler as a matter of course, without doing anything at all.

what do you want from a free emergency service?

they are there to make sure your safe not find and fix every problem for free. The came and made safe, YOUR ALIVE! simple.

Update:

Gas safety advised me to tell the tenant that he should NOT allow an engineer to enter the premises today without a Gas safety ID number. I did this but the tenant wasn't too happy as he has a family and they have no hot water/heating & he just wants the boiler fixed....he admitted he wasn't that bothered about the gas safety issue.
I asked him to at least request the Gas safety engineers ID number for me so i could report back to Gas safety office.
I hope he does!

you should have said "whats the point of having hot water and heating if your lying on the floor dead from fumes?"

some people are so stupid, sadly and cant see the big picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fumes from boiler flue nauseating- please advise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock