Discuss fumes from boiler flue nauseating- please advise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Many thanks for the replies

I just want to clarify a few things....

The old tenant below had a CO detector for years and it was clear.
I had one for years and it was clear. (a new one is on its way in the post)

The smell only happens maybe once every day or so and lasts for about 3-10 minutes when the noise starts up

What i'm trying to establish is if it's NORMAL for flue fumes to smell bad & what might they be? I wondered if they were harmful in the same way as perhaps car exhaust fumes are harmful. Could it be just down to lack of boiler servicing?
The reason I assumed they not CO was due to the fact that the detectors not detect anything.

The boiler is Gas..

I really appreciate the replies- I guess I'm hoping someone will either say:

1. I shouldn't smell anything at all from a flue....
or
2. Pungent smell is normal at times.

Either of these would be helpful

however no one seems to have said this yet....

In the meantime I will ring the no given and chat with them.....

1. Boiler fumes do not smell pungent

2. CO does not smell at all

3. Your last post was 40 odd mins ago so you have had plenty of time to contact the gas emergency services.
What did they say??

You mention a lot about CO detectors. How can you rely on these? You do realise they have a lifespan whereas if u get a qualified engineer out who knows what they are looking at can tell you and provide results on paper exactly if its dangerous or not inc. CO/CO2 levels.

Strongly advise you take the other members advice and call the number to get transco to come out and investigate!!!! 0800 111 999

If someone put me into a room full of CO, the only way I'd be able to confirm it's CO without an analyser would be if I woke up dead,, Oh hang on, Doh,, or is that D.O.A?

Hopefully the O.P is stuck in a queue to N-Grid, and not on a slab.

co2 alarms only work if a hi reading happens for 20min and is rising

Emailed landlord (again) but no reply.

Today I decided to report the matter to transco & I informed the tenants of their visit (as requested by transco.) The tenants told me he also has serious concerns about the boiler and had also reported it to the landlord.

Within minutes the landlord rang me and hurled verbal abuse & insults at me and said he was not letting engineers into his flat. Ten minutes later he shot onto the premises and jumped out of the car and is now in the car port downstairs awaiting Transco and glaring up at my window...!

perhaps now some of you are aware of why i was hesistant reporting this matter...

Your landlord is subject to laws and must comply for your safety. I'm sorry that you feel intimidated by him but his actions clearly prove that he has something to hide.

All he has to to is act responsibly and legally and everybody would be safe and happy. the last thing he wants is a dead tenant, several years in prison and a massive fine.

You have done the right thing, Bravo.
MM

"Your landlord is subject to laws"

Hi Mountainman-

I've just realized that you may have misread the thread. He's not my landlord. It's not my flat. I am a neighbour...I live in the flat above...

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

Transco did their emergency visit this morning.

I rang the freephone number back to inquire re: the result and they put through to local engineer- I was told since the boiler is not currently working the engineer could not assess for any gas leakage. I asked about the horrid fumes but they said their only responsibility is to ensure that the premises are safe, which they are.

They told me when they visited there was an EDF engineer present changing the meter (sheer coincidence) and that he had capped the outlet pipe...apparently the landlord has booked an engineer to repair the boiler later today

I told Transco I was concerned by the fact that previous tenants said the landlord used rather dubious 'mate' engineers and they told me to ring Gas safety for advice.

Gas safety advised me to tell the tenant that he should NOT allow an engineer to enter the premises today without a Gas safety ID number. I did this but the tenant wasn't too happy as he has a family and they have no hot water/heating & he just wants the boiler fixed....he admitted he wasn't that bothered about the gas safety issue.
I asked him to at least request the Gas safety engineers ID number for me so i could report back to Gas safety office.
I hope he does!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fumes from boiler flue nauseating- please advise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back