Search the forum,

Discuss Smell of 'toasted sesame oil' from boiler flue vents. (block of flats) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I live on the 3rd floor of a 6-story block of flats. (26 flats in total).
During the evening when all people are inside their flats and using their boilers to heat their flats, there is obviously lots of steam coming out of all the different Boiler Flue Vents.

if I open my window or go outside (downstairs), there is a strong smell which is exactly like 'toasted sesame oil' during these times.
After midnight when most people are sleeping, the smell is no longer present.
The smell is not disgusting. But i have no idea if its supposed to be this way.
I have toasted sesame oil at home, and the smell really is pretty much identical.
* At first, I originally thought that there must be someone cooking with sesame oil.. but its too strong, and has been daily for almost a month of winter.
Smell was never present during summer.

The smell correlates to when people are at home using their boilers, and I can see steam blowing out their flue vents.
I am certain the smell is from the vents.

My Question:
Is this because there are MANY flue vents on the building which means the smell is far more concentrated?
Or, does it mean that perhaps one, two or more of the flats in my block have dangerous gasses coming out their boiler flues?

Should I be concerned?
What should I do in this situation?

As a precaution report this to the building management company I can't say I have come across a sesame oil smell other than coming out of a kitchen extract fan whilst people prepare food ? . but its better to have a false alarm than a problem than can cause a danger . Kop

Reply to Smell of 'toasted sesame oil' from boiler flue vents. (block of flats) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock