Search the forum,

Discuss Please help me... I'm desperate. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys,

Really hoping for a hero to help out as I'm at my wits end.

I am a first time home owner & have just moved into an old council flat (it is located on the 2nd floor and there is 1 property below me).

During the day & night at random intervals there is an incredible loud surging noise coming from a pipe in the flat. It doesn't sound like a water hammer, more like a toilet cystern. However, it occurs with no rhyme or reason as nobody is flushing a loo in the property.

It's so loud I'm unable to sleep and it happens 2/3 times during the night and can last up to 30mins!

I have attached a video of the noise.

If anyone could please suggest any sort of fix you would be my hero.

Thanks!

Attachments

• c6827594-43d3-448d-b34c-a183ae83dd26.MP4
    6.2 MB
Anyone above you eg 3rd floor flat ?

Any cold water tanks in the loft space ?

Is the other flat below using a washing machine or dishwasher overnight?

If it was only once in the night it could be a Water softener regenerating, if the other flat have one.
But unless it's faulty it wouldn't be more than once a night.

Is the other flat below using a washing machine or dishwasher overnight?

If it was only once in the night it could be a Water softener regenerating, if the other flat have one.
But unless it's faulty it wouldn't be more than once a night.
No, I don't believe so as it happens multiple times per-night and during the day. Unless he's doing 4/5 washes a day every day haha!

Yes there is a cold water tank in the loft space, but I'm not sure if it's in use/working.

Could this be the problem?
Could be if it’s being used for hot water and refilling, also check your toilet as most new toilets don’t have overflow to outside they overflow into the bowl if it’s emptying and refilling. That could be a problem

Could be if it’s being used for hot water and refilling, also check your toilet as most new toilets don’t have overflow to outside they overflow into the bowl if it’s emptying and refilling. That could be a problem
Have checked the loft tanks and they are both old and unused due to the Combi boiler.
Have also checked my toilet and it refills perfectly each time with no noise after...

Is it possible it could be an issue with the downstairs flat toilet that is then echoing up the pipes?

Thanks again so much for your help.

Have checked the loft tanks and they are both old and unused due to the Combi boiler.
Have also checked my toilet and it refills perfectly each time with no noise after...

Is it possible it could be an issue with the downstairs flat toilet that is then echoing up the pipes?

Thanks again so much for your help.
Possible you need to speak to them

Seen something similar. It was the flush valve in the toilet. Letting a very tiny amount of water pass. 2 or 3 times through the night it would refill toilet, making noise.
Not apparent with naked eye, but if you dry off the back of the toilet bowl inside and then put a but of toilet roll on it you will see if it gets wet.

If it's not yours it could be downstairs.

Possible you need to speak to them
Hey guys,

So I have been to his house and flushed his loo and can hear the problem very clearly in my house every time I flush his loo - so it's almost definitely that refilling.

I took a video of the cistern refilling and was wondering if anyone could please help diagonse the issue? He says it takes him 5/10 minutes to refill the loo. His water pressure seemed fine? Is it likely to be a valve issue?

Thanks again guys, you're all heroes.

Attachments

• IMG_9809.MOV
    14.1 MB
Easier to change the whole valve

Reply to Please help me... I'm desperate. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys Have moved into a house with a fairly old plumbing system from 70’s. However boiler has been replaced around a decade ago by a Worcester- working great. Pump is around 5 years old. I have a bit of a strange problem (to me at least). In the morning after the boiler has been off all...
Replies
Views
I wanted to start a new more dedicated thread as I am on about 3 just now in one way or another trying to get up to speed with my problem. The issue is that my Gledhill Stainless Lite indirect unvented cylinder makes loud noises when heating - this is a bit random, but that noise is loud enough...
Replies
Views
hi all, can you suggest what is wrong with my water pipes they all make a loud grumbling type of noise at night at random times. my hot water and central heating is off at night and not being used. i had a plumber call round yesterday but he said he does not know what the problem is. i said i...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Would really appreciate some help please. Had this problem for a few weeks now and it is quite annoying and owing to the loudness I'm surprised the neighbours haven't complained yet. I keep getting intermittent vibrating / buzzing noises on the mains water inlet pipe where water comes...
Replies
Views
Sorry to bother but in desperate need of advice, we've suffered with water hammer issues in our council property since 12th November 2018, I share a water line with both neighbours either side of me and the main Thames line is in the street right outside my house leads to another stop tap in my...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock