Discuss Flushing handle won't self return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G4WIL

Hi ,I've checked through the threads but can't find one pertaining to my problem :eek:

Problem is, ceramic handle on toilet cistern doesn't return after use and requires assistance.
Looking inside reveals connection to a plunger . the mechanism isn't jambed/ tight etc. The toilet flushes no problem !
The cistern has a standard syphon . Water inlet is a ball cock ( good flow and shut off )
This is a close coupled toilet ,age approx 12 years !

G4wil

Check where the handle goes into the cistern, if the nut is too tight this can stop the handle moving freely. Remove the clip that joins the handle to the siphon and then just test that the handle moves freely and is not catching anywhere. Other than that, you are relying on the spring in the siphon to pull the handle back to it's resting position.

Thank you bronzino,
Although in a soft water area I guess there was a sufficient dusting of lime scale around the mechanism to impede its action .
Did as suggested , made a free! mechanism freer! and all is A Okay!!
Once again thank you, your quick response has saved my Sunday :)
G4WIL-John.

Rub a candle over the plunger rod which goes up and down in the syphon.

I eventually stripped syphon down only to find return compression spring broken in 3 pieces . I chose the longest piece, stretched it and rebuilt syphon.
Success but I guess it will only be a temporary solution :(.
Replacement springs hard to find ,so I reckon a new syphon is in the offing.

John

New syphons are only about a fiver from Screwfix

if youre going the whole hog, why not buy a retro fit push button syphon kit from plumbcentre, costs more than a fiver, but no plunger diagphram to tear or springs to break, and you get to ditch handle for nice 2 stage button unit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flushing handle won't self return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock