Search the forum,

Discuss Flue terminals and Boundary Lines in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi chaps, I need to do a boiler swop where the old boiler is right in the kitchen next to the boundary wall of a terrace house. In the viper it says you need to be 300mm from the boundary just incase they build an extension. Is it ok to still core out closer than this and use a plume management kit or buy another 45degree flue section and create the 300mm from inside? But as the cupboard is only 300mm deep the flue would be half way out the cupboard.

I hope that makes sense.

Not sure in this instance, but I know sometimes using a plume management kit you can reduce the distance to 150mm.

Ignore the viper book and read the MIs. The MI's take precedence.

it will need to be 300mm. This means if they build in the future it will still be 300mm from a corner etc....

even at 300mm if it causes a nuisance due to the plume after installation it could need to be moved. If they build afterwards and it becomes a nuisance its there problem.

Last edited:
tricky one hey. British gas put in their spec that they would use a plume management kit. So am wondering if it is ok. So the flue from back wall will be 125mm to the centre and then will i have 175mm from the inside of this wall to where the boundary is? Plaster, Brick?

glow worms only need to be 75mm from int or ext corner but not sure about boundary wall

i thought the 150mm measurement was for opening in the building structure and not a boundary? if its in the manufactures instructions then fine, if not it must meet the BS 5440...... or something like that number.

i have looked at the diagram in vailliants instructions and it is pretty much the same as viper book. Will it have more info in the flue booklet you get? As in what you can do with the plume management kit

this is position F recommendation. I cannot see in the book where it says boundaries though:Dimension F:This clearance may be reduced to 25 mm without
affecting the performance of the boiler. However, in
order to ensure that the condensate plume does not
affect adjacent surfaces a clearance of 300 mm is
preferred. For IE, recommendations are given in the
current edition of IS 813

Is this kind of similar

this is position F recommendation. I cannot see in the book where it says boundaries though:Dimension F:This clearance may be reduced to 25 mm without
affecting the performance of the boiler. However, in
order to ensure that the condensate plume does not
affect adjacent surfaces a clearance of 300 mm is
preferred. For IE, recommendations are given in the
current edition of IS 813

Is this kind of similar
my thoughts exactly would be no problem with the plume if there was in the futre then plume kit could be fitted or diverter terminal end

why we looking at a glowworm instructions? whats it say in the Vailant instructions?

excuse me if im being stupid, ive got a head ache and im half asleep :)

i have pasted a section from the vailliant manual but it is from internal and external corners. I cannot see any where where it says about boundaries. So I thought this is quite similar as all it is really suggesting is the plumage would be a problem

i would phone them, i would be supprised if they will agree it can be less than 300mm tbh. the internal and external corner measurement is a performance measurement and the boundary measurement is more a building reg/ nuisance issue.

Fit a baxi/potterton/main, use a plume deflector kit (not plume management) and all you need is 25mm from adjacent boundry

300mn needed plume management kit for nuissence plumes not to reduce flue distances. Just redone me gas and it has a section on putting flues out at angles to the brick work eg. 45º to help with this. Good luck with drilling a core at that angle!

300mn needed plume management kit for nuissence plumes not to reduce flue distances. Just redone me gas and it has a section on putting flues out at angles to the brick work eg. 45º to help with this. Good luck with drilling a core at that angle!

they told me that on my acs but boiler manufacturers will disagree .glowworm and Worcester state closer distances to windows etc with plume kit

It's also about air for burning not just about getting rid of the plume, if extension built, intake is in corner

Spoke to a couple of manufactures about this and it seems to be a bit of a grey area. Although " there are no grey areas in gas" . They said that its akward because someone could remove the plume kit and replace the normal terminal but that in certain circumstances 150mm would be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue terminals and Boundary Lines in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock