Discuss Flat roof flashing kit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smtplumbing

we bit of advice here guy, Fitting a Worcester 29cdi boiler at the weekend in a garage, fitting a vertical flue with a flat roof flashing on top of a garage felt with wood underneath, Normally i just get the roofer to do this but he is on holiday. The customer has been at me it better not leak etc. once i cut the hole in the roof and put the flashing on do you guys seal it underneath the flashing to make it water tight or do you tack it down to stop it lifting in the wind

steven

I bed it down on a waterproof mastic and then gob a load of flexacryl around and over the flashing.

[video=youtube;0tzJp0lbKuU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tzJp0lbKuU[/video]

thanks mike something i have never bought how much is it to buy

If done properly, theres no chance of it leaking! I would not waste money on a roofer! Probs easier than a vertical flue through tiles.

If done properly, theres no chance of it leaking! I would not waste money on a roofer! Probs easier than a vertical flue through tiles.

Never done either of these. I know now how to do the flat roof but a tiled one? Whats the trick there? Can you drill a pilot (I would have thought the tiles would move making it difficult) and then go on roof find pilot hole and move tiles? Need to put new boiler in my house soon and it will be through tiled roof

Use a lead slate to replace tile removed to insert flue. make sure you interlock tiles properly, worst type of tile is the 70/80s concrete ones that dont overlap, lead slate needs support underneath to work properly and some lead/brick silicone sealant is useful here.

Never done either of these. I know now how to do the flat roof but a tiled one? Whats the trick there? Can you drill a pilot (I would have thought the tiles would move making it difficult) and then go on roof find pilot hole and move tiles? Need to put new boiler in my house soon and it will be through tiled roof

Mutley your post made me cringe in terror at the thought of you perched on a roof drilling a pilot hole! Is there any local installers you could work with on a vertical install?

work from below, screwdriver out under tile, hop on roof via tower and roof ladder, find screwdiver and whip off tile with slate ripper or if horrible concrete style tiles, hammer through middle of said tile, no overlaps so not an issue:)

No don't use mastic on the flat roof mate. Go with mikes recommendation.

work from below, screwdriver out under tile, hop on roof via tower and roof ladder, find screwdiver and whip off tile with slate ripper or if horrible concrete style tiles, hammer through middle of said tile, no overlaps so not an issue:)

but make sure you cover the exposed flue below the tiles! I learnt the hard way on that!

Mutley your post made me cringe in terror at the thought of you perched on a roof drilling a pilot hole! Is there any local installers you could work with on a vertical install?

Ha ha sorry mate, I meant drill from inside and then look for pilot bit on top. I do know a guy but would rather not use him. He is a bit of a beast and breaks most things.

I don't mind roofing. I slated a roof before. Like lame said, scaffold and roof ladder

So do you only remove 1 slate or tile? When I have looked at a few out of curiosity, it looks like more than one has been removed. Does it explain it well in the flue kit instructions?

So do you only remove 1 slate or tile? When I have looked at a few out of curiosity, it looks like more than one has been removed. Does it explain it well in the flue kit instructions?

flue instructions tell you how flue fits, you really need to be shown how to do the slate and roofing by someone who knows or your custards will be ringing when it rains. Re your question NO, heeheeheehee there go the ribs now

The MIs for a vertical flue tell you how to put it together and how far you can run it.

it isn't that hard get up there and get learning, use common sense regarding weather protection and you will be fine. If in doubt pour a bucket of water down the roof.

fit it level and clip it. I can't stand seeing v flues lop sided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flat roof flashing kit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My installation has been classed as Dangerous 'Do not use' by my boiler manufacturer. I have an Ideal Logic 30kw Combi boiler mounted as high as...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, Quoting for my first boiler installation with vertical flue going through pitched roof. It is 3 storey house, i am planning on...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
This post just for interest/comment so please only read if you have time for that (Any thoughts appreciated). Following on from previous post of...
Replies
Views
Burger
B
Hi, Just to confirm all gas work is being carried out by a gas safe engineer and will be registered with building regs. i am pricing for whole...
Replies
Views
E
Hi has anyone fitted a vailant penetration collar. I went to a boiler today and the flue comes through a flat roof its a vaillant eco tec pro 24...
Replies
Views
eddiebrown424
E
Back