Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting / removing push-fit flexible tap connectors - any opinions or advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yehia

Hi all,
I've just bought two 22mm copper push-fit (type 2) flexible tap connectors with integral isolation valves, which I have fitted to a new bathtub that I've installed.
Although I am capable of bending pipes and soldering joints, I chose to try something new, for three main reasons: firstly, yes, to try and save time; secondly, for safety reasons - i.e. wanting to avoid soldering in a confined space near gas pipes; and thirdly, because of the proximity of a 'T' joint which branches off into the wall, which I did not want to disturb or cut too close to.
Anyway, here's the situation:
One of the flexible tap connectors has fitted in place perfectly.
However, one of them (from the cold tap - which is further back and harder to reach, inevitably) has got a kink in it, due to the fact that I could not confidently cut the supply pipe any lower down, or there might not have been room to insert the push-fit fitting properly (also partly because of that 'T' joint I mentioned...)
I bought a 'Removal Tool', in the hope that I would be able to take the push-fit fitting back off, maybe cut 20mm more (max.) off the copper pipe, then put it back on again, but the damn thing simply won't shift! (The issue is that the the removal tool will not slide up over the isolation valve -bah! That's 5 quid wasted for a start...)
However, there are no leakages up to the isolation valves, so the push-fit fittings are sound in both cases.
Here's my potential plan of action:
Tomorrow (after the sealant has dried around the waste outlets) I will check the flow rates to both taps.
A. If they're both OK, I'm probably going to leave them both in situ, despite the kink in one of them.
B. If the one with the kink in it has a reduced flow rate, I'm going to have to remove the fitting, take out the entire bathtub again, and cut the supply pipe further back, using compression fittings to replace that troublesome 'T' and a new length of copper 22mm pipe up to the tap in question.
Obviously, option A would be far preferable to option B!
But can anyone suggest another course of action?
I hope it's clear that I am NOT a cowboy, and that I have every intention of taking the best possible course of action to ensure a sound and long-lasting installation. I have done what I believed to be safe and professional, but this small issue is bugging me enormously.
So, all suggestions will be warmly welcomed - except ones along the lines of, "You didn't wanna do it like that..."; for better or worse, I've already done it like I've described, so what do people think I should do next is what I'd be interested and grateful to know?
Cheers in advance,
YT

A kink in a flexi is a weak point that can result in a burst over time. Too much stress is put on the one bit. I personally would "bite the bullet" for the sake of a fiver and buy and fit a new one.
I know you don't want to hear this but I hate flexis and only use them when I'm forced to. I don't see them as a long term installation part. From your post, you are very capable and I think you should use copper and if worried about heat, use compression joints and compression tap adaptors. You'll get major satisfaction over your extra efforts too!

Thanks for that kind and instructive reply - much appreciated. I'd been thinking along those lines too; guess I'll have to sleep on it! It's always a matter of millimeters in these instances, isn't it?!
Cheers again,
YT

I see these flexis as poor substitutes for copper. I don't use them ever, except on back to wall toilets or if they are on monobloc sink mixers. Beware the ones with valves as some leak. If you have to fit any of them, try to have them nearly full length to the pipe they are joining to & keep pipe end slack until tap end tightened, to avoid twisting it. Why not use brass fittings at copper pipes & use solder tap fittings, try them in with pipes before soldering & solder out of place? Thus avoids flexi.

Last edited:
As system3 has already said, a kink in a flexi is a potential leak waiting to happen. i would remove flexi & redo in copper or plastic pipe with speedfit fittings. i'd use a speedfit hand tight adapter onto the bath tap to make it really easy.

Very glad I posted here, as all these replies are very helpful. Thanks everyone.
(I should mention that the client expressed a preference for the flexi fittings over copper in the first place, which is another reason I went with them in this instance).
I'm going to deal with it this morning, so I'll report back tonight!
Cheers for support and advice.

Hope you manage to get it off!

You can buy unusually short flexi's here and there. I've got a couple of 15mm onces which are 150mm long. But they were expensive. Bought them in case of areally tight situation where they would be my only option. Had them ages now. One day!

OK, here's how it panned out:
After much discussion, it was decided to leave the bath in place, so as to avoid possibly damaging the tub and walls during removal (we're talking a VERY tight fit).
So, I opted for Plan C!
Disconnected flexi from tap tail with trusty tap spanner. Cut 22mm supply pipe behind elbow, in front of 'T' - leaving only 50mm clearance to make use of. Put a push-fit copper straight connector on this end, 100mm more pipe into that, and a push-fit copper elbow onto that, with 50mm copper pipe upwards at that fitting.
(Never used copper push-fit before; found it very easy to use though).
Having thrown away the kinked flexi, I bought an identical one with integral iso valve, which fitted well this time. Phew!
In hindsight, I wish I'd manufactured the whole set-up beforehand using compression fittings, but live and learn, eh?
At least the pipework is now safe and functional. My concern was a reduced flow-rate to the cold tap, but that hasn't happened.
So... should I feel like I've done the right thing here, under the circumstances?
Thankyou all for your advice; it's really done me a power of good to run through this issue in this forum.

I'm pleased you opted for copper pushfit fittings, both Cuprofit and Tectite are brilliant and very easy to use and far better than those big ugly plastic efforts.
I think that you've done the right thing in removing and replacing the kinked flexi. As to your efforts.....Well done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you manage to get it off!

You can buy unusually short flexi's here and there. I've got a couple of 15mm onces which are 150mm long. But they were expensive. Bought them in case of areally tight situation where they would be my only option. Had them ages now. One day!
dont blame u dude from posts ive read of yourrs you on the baall. nothing better than being prepared i hate it when you are working in nowhersville and you end up needing sumthing you should realy have in the back of the van

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting / removing push-fit flexible tap connectors - any opinions or advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock