Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting Isolating service valve to shower inflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catherine

Hi, Can you help me with Water Regs re isolating service valve -I'm putting in a new Triton Enrich Shower - supply pipe is plastic behind tiles etc. The supply pipe does not have an isolating service valve fitted to it (as recommended that it should have by the manufacturer to comply with current water regs). Triton also recommend that a compression fitting be used to connect the supply to the shower inlet pipe - Please could you tell me:

Do I need to fit an isolating service valve ? and if so - can I use a compression elbow with an isolating valve that I have found online that has compression fittings at both ends - one end to connect to the service pipe and the other end directly to the shower inlet pipe - ie no extra supply pipe between this (isolating) elbow fitting and the shower inlet pipe? Would this comply with Water Regs?

Regards
Catherine

Hi Simon, Thanks for your reply, this is the fitting I was looking at online and yes I will be able to get access if I remove the front cover assembly from the shower - is this acceptable?

as long as you can isolate the cold and everything else is as per the manufacturers instructions, I dont see anything wrong with what you have suggested and what simon has illustrated

yes it should be fine unless you have poor cold water flow as it may cause some ristriction.

whos requested you fit an isolator? unless its going to effect warrantee or you have to change the shower id leave it.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have exactly the same issue with the same shower. I wondered if you could tell me if using an elbow compression isolation valve worked out ok?

Thanks,
James

If you are talking about a mains fed electric shower, then check manufacturers instructions as some give a special olive to use. is the stopcock not isolation enough?

If you are talking about a mains fed electric shower, then check manufacturers instructions as some give a special olive to use. is the stopcock not isolation enough?

There's no special olive. I was just asking the OP if they encountered any problems with their proposed solution. I don't see any reason why there should be as the shower model requires as per instructions a compression fitting between the supply pipe and the plastic inlet pipe on the shower. However, one concern is that an elbow isolation compression valve might restrict flow even when fully open. Why isolation valve? Turning the stopcock off means turning the entire water supply to the house off, so an isolation valve at the shower would be more convenient for any future maintenance or a leak from the shower. What's more, all new installations now require an isolation valve.

the stop cok is to allow the manufacturers to carry out any warranty work easily and doesnt have to be within the casing any where on the feed will surfice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting Isolating service valve to shower inflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock