Discuss Fire place - just wondering what you think in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Account

hello fuys,

My parents in law have got a fire place and I was wondering what you think about this ?

Would you consider it dangerous apparently they let it check once a year.

Any recommendations ?

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

What are the brass edged shapes, that looks a lot like smoke staining

i presume it's solid fuel as well
Thanks stani for coming back to me!

The brass edges are from the frame but as you see the smoke around it, that's the bit I was worried about.

It's solid fuel , wood only!

Is that something to worry about shall I suggest them to let it check again?

Definitely, and stop using until it's been checked. It looks like the top has been built around the flue, and the outlet from the fire is not sealed allowing fumes to escape,
Everything from the fire should come out of the chimney and no where else. This why CO detectors are worth their weight in gold, do your in laws suffer from headaches, sleepiness when the fire s lit?

The list above for symptoms could be 'egghausting' lol

The list above for symptoms could be 'egghausting' lol
They definitely feel sleepy but don't know if that's a natural thing or related to the fire place. But I will definitely let it's check.

How can they access the flue to see if that's coming back into the room? Shall I will mention it to the service guy he hasn't to install a CO alarm.

I really appreciate your help and will sort it out that someone will come the to inspect the chimney as well as the fire place. Thumbs up

Blimey never seen anything like that, as Stani says absolutely 100% put a CO detector in there , but flue wants testing/checking .

Always remember you can get CO poisoning from any carbon based fuel i.e. Wood in this case .

The top section needs accessing to see what is happening, wether this is a hole cut or access via the brass section but an inspection there is an absolute must, if everything is ok then a CO alarm should be the next item bought, if it's not then you need a Heatas registered person to fix the problem.
If that was a gas fire I would be turning off, capping the gas and issuing warning notices for ID.

He thinks the stains are from Temperatur which I doubt. I'll get the people in to let them check the fire place. he is too stubborn for me :) father in law :)

But best father you can think off

They could be Heat marks but without being on site it's hard to tell, so best thing is turn off and check. We only have 1 life, let's keep it going as long as we can.

The top section needs accessing to see what is happening, wether this is a hole cut or access via the brass section but an inspection there is an absolute must, if everything is ok then a CO alarm should be the next item bought, if it's not then you need a Heatas registered person to fix the problem.
If that was a gas fire I would be turning off, capping the gas and issuing warning notices for ID.
I could turn it off here in Poland but in uk I am not certified just yet. But as mentioned I'll get some people in to let them check the chimney.
How do I know that they check and Inspect the fire place properly ? I am asking because we are in Poland and i want to make sure that someone knows what he is doing.

I definitely agree with one life. Better safe than sorry!

I'll get a CO Alarm tomorrow, where should be placed high up near the vents on the right grey wall ?

I could turn it off here in Poland but in uk I am not certified just yet. But as mentioned I'll get some people in to let them check the chimney.
How do I know that they check and Inspect the fire place properly ? I am asking because we are in Poland and i want to make sure that someone knows what he is doing.

Get a Heatas registered engineer in, he will give you a report, and won't leave it in an unsafe situation, because it will be his neck on the line if anything happens.

Can you buy any smoke bombs and put one in the fire see if smoke comes out of the top

Do they have anything like registered engineers in Poland for solid fuel?

CO alarm does have a description for siting, but don't put it too close to the fire, and about 1.5 metre high. Don't put alarm on chimney wall

First, I will try to get such a alarm. Then trying to test with a smoke pellet. The last thing is I will call them out even though I can't see smoke coming out just to make sure things are safe to use.

Stani much appreciate for your input but as well as all the other engineers

With solid fuel a lot of the heat comes off the flue pipe which normally helps to heat the room.
Could it be that it has been boxed in to hide the flue and vents put in to allow the flue to still heat the room? They do look like heat marks to me.
Could you not pull one of the vents off to take a look?
However if there is any doubt I would get someone to take a look, it is always a good idea to have a detector whatever the outcome.

With solid fuel a lot of the heat comes off the flue pipe which normally helps to heat the room.
Could it be that it has been boxed in to hide the flue and vents put in to allow the flue to still heat the room? They do look like heat marks to me.
Could you not pull one of the vents off to take a look?
However if there is any doubt I would get someone to take a look, it is always a good idea to have a detector whatever the outcome.

To be honest they have got the flue boxed in and the vents are to heat the room. But I want to let it check anyway so that they are on the safe side. It might Ben nothing than stains but it's better to check that.

I have bought this Co alarm. I need to know where to place.

Thanks for your help too

IMG_1424.JPG

I've just found the instruction in English so will now install it to manufacture instructions.

If you can see the flue along it's whole length for inspection then a visual inspection of it plus a smoke test would most likely suffice I'd say. Warm the flue then whack a smoke pellet in the fire and look inside the chimney at the flue to see if any smoke comes out. If not then what you are seeing is probably heat rising up inside the chimney.

If you can see the flue along it's whole length for inspection then a visual inspection of it plus a smoke test would most likely suffice I'd say. Warm the flue then whack a smoke pellet in the fire and look inside the chimney at the flue to see if any smoke comes out. If not then what you are seeing is probably heat rising up inside the chimney.

I will test the flue in the next 3 weeks when I go back for couple of days. I could not check it last time because I did not have the pellet. This time i will take a couple and will make sure it's ok. Thank you for your advise. I really appreciate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fire place - just wondering what you think in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all, Just a quick one, ive recently been asked to fit a new fire in a property, there was one in previously but was removed simply...
Replies
Views
Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock