Search the forum,

Discuss Extending toilet water supply in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richs99

Good morning

This is my first post and I have zero plumbing experience so please excuse any incorrect terms or blatant ignorance...

I'm trying to replace a toilet valve with a slow leak. I bought a Fluidmaster 400UK (bottom entry float valve) and have got as far as getting it into the cistern. When trying to hook it back up to the water pipe, the existing connector was the wrong size. I now have about 1 and a half inches of missing pipe (see attached image).

IMG_0515.JPG

As far as I can see, the threads on the bottom of the fluidmaster and the top of the copper pipe would match if they only reached each other (they appear to both be 20mm).

Please could someone tell me which part I need to buy to "bridge the gap"?

Many thanks in advance!

Rich

P.S. Am struggling to attach the image, will attempt again to edit once this is posted

Last edited by a moderator:
Your easiest way would be to cut the copper feed back a few inches and bridge the gap with a 15mm copper to 1/2" bsp flexible.

Your plumbers merchant will advise you exactly what you need.

Hi there

Thanks for the reply! That sounds beyond my limited skillset to be honest.

Given the sizes you've suggested, would something like this not work:

Homebase /webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=824185

(can't paste link directly, it's a Compression Straight Male Connector - 15mm - 0.5in)

If not it's time to call the pros I think :)

What I suggested is the easiest DIY way.
don't wander aimlessly in a DIY shed, go to a proper plumbers merchant and they'll see you right.

It's a simple job but you could get into all sorts of bother if you just guess at what's needed.

Failing that, get a pro in, it may cost you £50 or so but at least you'll have peace of mind.

If you really have limited knowledge then the flexi route as suggested is the best way for you. You can pick up a flexi hose as described by the others with a push fit connector to fit on the copper pipe end. Youd only need a pipe cutter to get a clean cut on the copper and an adjustable spanner to tighten onto the filling valve. If you go the flexi route make sure the copper is clean, free of paint and make sure the pipe is fully into the fitting. Any local plumbing merchant will sell everything you need and in most cases offer you advice on the fittings

Forgot to mention that i wouldnt use a flexi push fit myself as standard copper looks neater. (For all you flexi haters out there ;) )
I think its the best option for you though if you wanted to try it for yourself instead of getting someone in

Dont get a flexi. Im trying to find a pic that i took when i got called to a bathroom flood which caused around 30k damage due to them splitting.

Go ahead if you want to chance having this issue, as you'll see on the forum how bad flexi's are in the long run

Speedfit socket, speedfit tap connector and a few inches of pipe. Got to be the easiest DIY method? But like others have said, go to a plumbing merchants (not a DIY store), show them this photo and they will help you out.

you can get flexi's which are pex pipe inside rather than rubber, not used one myself but should be alot stronger than the rubber type.

Out of interest, do they still sell corrugated copper pipe (across the width, not the length) which was supposed to be easy to bend by hand without using springs or a machine?

Flexible Copper Plumbing Stick 15 x 15 x 300mm | NoLinkingToThis

you mean this type of thing?

you can get stainless aswell, in different lengths. checkout tool station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Extending toilet water supply in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock