Search the forum,

Discuss electric shower vs. mains from dual cylinder submersion heater in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

B

Bubblepie

Hello, and thank you for reading. My partner and I have just purchased our first property that came with a dual cylinder electric water heater, and an electric shower in the bathroom. As it happens, the shower needs replacement, and we were thinking of removing the electric shower (Mira Sport) and get a mixer tap powered from the mains; we had a plumber over for a preliminary visit, and he said that it was a terrible idea, and that it would make my electricity bill upwards of £400 monthly. Is this correct? Is there a cost-effective alternative to the double cylinder heater?

Your plumber was correct, the mixer-tap idea is a non-starter.

Assuming that electricity is the only fuel available in the house, your options are an electric shower, like the Mira Sport, or a mixer shower that draws hot water from the tank. The latter offers the possibility of using cheap rate, e.g. Economy 7 or solar, electricity but requires a largish tank and a fairly spartan attitude to the length of time people can spend showering before the hot water runs out. If it's a vented tank you'll also need a fairly expensive pump to get a satisfactory shower.

I'd recommend getting a good quality brand, such as Mira, so that parts will be available if/when they are needed.

If you want to save money, which you probably do if this is your first property, select an 'eco' shower and have it running for the minimum possible time. Think 'commando' not 'Hollywood'.

Reply to electric shower vs. mains from dual cylinder submersion heater in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock