Discuss Driveway Shared Water Supply Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Thanks Rob. Does it suggest to you with this company working over the Bank holiday weekend. If something goes wrong we are unlikely to have them back to put right.

Been up most the night thinking about this and like many always think the worst.
I am really not comfortable with this. The neighbour would have gone for the cheapest company and suspect he would not have researched/looked for reviews on who he has chosen. My fears are we will be in a worse state afterwards. A company turning up in spare time? What comeback is there if things turn out badly?
Is it worth having a word with the water company for any advice? After their investigation showed the leak was under the neighbours driveway, they served a 30 day notice and expect they are just waiting for notification work has been carried out.
Should I be involved more especially as I may be asked for half the cost when they are well into digging up piping?
Not having any control over this feels very vulnerable and at the "mercy" of others.
Any advice welcome thanks.

Okay. A big development.
I have contacted the water company and they say the supply is not shared, I have my own supply. When they came round a couple of weeks back to look at the leak and we were out, our supply had been turned off. Appears they turned our stopcock off in the street by mistake.
Only concern now is the company coming around to do the work and the impact they will have on our new driveway. Both mine and the neighbours stop cocks are located at the end of my driveway. If they decide to replace all the piping I expect they will have to trench and dig up the corner of the driveway.
As they are going to be doing work, would it be possible they could locate my neighbours stopcock at the end of his property?

You can ask the neighbour to relocate. He may go for it as it would probably be cheaper than re-laying block paving or he may say he has an easement allowing him to run his water supply under your drive. You can also be obstructive and deny him access to your property. Then he may take you to court citing the easement, but at least the court will give him clear rules to follow. Best to be seen making reasonable requests first though.

Quite honestly, I'd write him a letter saying if he needs to dig up your drive, you'll need to know exactly how much he needs to dig up and then you'll get a quote from the person who laid the drive in the first place to carry out the permanent repair to the same standard as the rest and it is a condition of him being allowed access that he pays you the money BEFORE he digs up the drive on the understanding that you will give him any money left over if your repair work proves cheaper, and a copy of your firm's invoice. Also that you want to see the Public Liability Insurance of the person/firm doing his work if you're concerned the person is not a bona fide tradesman.

In all honesty, I water supplies are often 'moled' so no digging would be required. I had the impression that a new water supply pipe wouldn't usually cost more than two thousand, but I'll leave others to comment on that.

Thanks Ric.
Even better news for us if this works. Wife noticed there was a blue line from the stopcock at the end of our driveway which pointed diagonally to the end of the neighbours property. Looks like they won't have to interfere with our driveway, although it looks a pretty near thing.
The water has been coming out 2-3 weeks now and discolouration and green algae are appearing on the affected part of our driveway.
Wasn't their fault their pipe leaked but would want this rectified, but wondering what point to approach the neighbour on this.

come on then get camera out take some pics and post on here we are all involved even my mrs who is a barrister who has been thinking
how to protect you - waiting 4 some pics

Reply to Driveway Shared Water Supply Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have just moved in to a 1934 Semi- and I am getting round a few simple DIY tasks, including a couple of plumbing-part renewals such as modern...
Replies
Views
There's a leak in the ceiling of my Dad's living room which is on the ground floor and has a bedroom directly above it...
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our...
Replies
Views
I was sent an engineer by Ideal Heating to fix a problem with my system. When he left he drove over a pot of sealing compound (which must have...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock