Discuss Driveway Shared Water Supply Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

GSP

Hi,
Apologies as I don't know exactly where to post this so hopefully this is an appropriate place.

My neighbour has a leak under his driveway which started as a small puddle, but has developed into something bigger and now flooding part of our new bloc paved driveway which was only laid in June.

Essex & Suffolk water have been round and said the leak is inside my neighbours boundary and issued him with a 30 day notice to fix.
Less than two years ago he had another leak not far from where the water is now, but they fixed that one. They did say at the time the next time he reports one it will cost him as this was a "free" one.

I am brought into this as it is a shared water supply pipe, but the neighbour is unaware of this as was I until yesterday. Reading material it appears I find myself liable to pay half the repair costs which I imagine will be over a thousand pounds.

My neighbour found a company who will do the work over the Bank Holiday weekend, so just over a week away.

I am trying to research and find out information on this subject as I am sure many do when faced with something they don't know about or the unknown.

Questions I have but haven't contacted anyone about yet.
- If I am on a shared supply, can I use my "free" repair card although its under my neighbours driveway.
- Neighbour had a similar problem close by less than two years ago. What about a guarantee from the free repair.
- Could contact my insurance. Its a bit vague if I am covered or not.
- Read an article where someone claimed on accidental damage. They said supply pipes do not wear out, they only leak when ground is disturbed by movement, tree roots, traffic vibration. Conincidentally there is damage in the road right next to the leak. When certain traffic goes over this it causes furniture and noises inside our houses such is the seismic activity sent out.
- Not say anything. Perhaps the company should have investigated to see if it was a shared supply.

I am hoping there is something I have mentioned which someone can say I should investigate or pursue which might help us or neighbour financially as we find ourselves in this situation.
Would appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Thanks

I know it might be more expensive but

I would get two new water mains installed as it sounds like your is breaking down

Could split again 6 months down the line etc

And as the waterboard have already worked on the supply no sorry to say

Check your home insurance papers as it may cover the leak.

Do you or your neighbor have any form of heating, drainage and plumbing cover ?

I don’t know if this is any help but a customer I know was having issues with their drainage (on their property) as it was a shared drain the waterboard (Yorkshire water) sorted it free of charge. I’d say speak to the local waterboard explain its a shared water mains see what they come up with.

If you don’t get anywhere then it’s what ShaunCorbs advised (post above).

Wait 30 days then get them to repair it .

Our drain had collapsed under our garden . Would of cost me loads in time and materials . Cost us 12 quid for about 5 k worth of work .

Hammers4spanners

Homeserve have had a lot of cut backs I doubt they will come and deal with it. They're limiting the new customer claims and the amount of the claim.

A few chaps I know work for homeserve. They’ve laid about 25/30 engineers off too and counting.

Thanks for your replies.

Shaun - I believe the supply may split just before our houses. If the large majority of the pipe is under the neighbours driveway then a replacement there should keep us in good stead.

AMG - The neighbour contacted his insurance and they said it did not cover. Reading mine it seems vague. At present I am wondering if its best to play naive on two accounts. First, and had this from experience on other insurance once they get to hear of something even if you don't claim they put your premiums up. The second, while my neighbour asked me if our supply was shared and I wasn't sure they have gone ahead and booked a company to do the work and they haven't checked if the supply was shared either. At this stage as far as I am aware they will just deal with his driveway. In addition and great timing!, we have just spent over 5 thousand pounds having the whole front of our house bloc paved. I want as little disruption as possible because you can bet your bottom dollar they won't put it back as they found it. The paving has been set and sealed on concrete drylene (sure spelt that wrong), so I don't want that broken.
The neighbour did get a "free one" less than two years ago.

Shared water supply - shared costs.

I hate working on shared services, because the invoice should be shared amongst all that use that service.
Had one recently where 4 units had a sewer blockage, 4 different owners, 3 different agents.

I'm about ready to re-block the drain with concrete over payment issues

He had his suspicions as he asked but if I was unaware about the shared supply at the time, should it have been for my neighbour and the company to find out one way or the other before they actually start the work.

Reply to Driveway Shared Water Supply Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have just moved in to a 1934 Semi- and I am getting round a few simple DIY tasks, including a couple of plumbing-part renewals such as modern...
Replies
Views
There's a leak in the ceiling of my Dad's living room which is on the ground floor and has a bedroom directly above it...
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our...
Replies
Views
I was sent an engineer by Ideal Heating to fix a problem with my system. When he left he drove over a pot of sealing compound (which must have...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock